PDA

View Full Version : Unusual network setup help

Triz
07-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi when we got broadband we tryed to set up a network. I can connect to the internet on all of our computers, but they don't talk to each other. My setup goes like this, The broadband modem is in a office that is maybe 100 to 150 feet from our house. So we have the router in the office which has the internet going to that and then we have a computer out there(soon to be 2) that is directly connected to the router. We then connected a line that goes clear to our house and is maybe 200 feet long. that connects to a wireless access point and both our pc and laptop connect wirelessly to it. I want all of the computers to have acces to one another, but I am not sure how to go about running the network. Just in case you need to know, We have windows XP home on all computers except the computers that I am putting together which will have XP Pro which will be in the office. All network components are made by Linksys. Thanks, in advance, for any help you guys might have.

bassman
07-08-2006, 02:01 AM
First you will need to have file and print sharing set up on all computers that will access the network.
Next you will need to share any files/folders you want to share. Typicaly any folder you share will allow access to any file or folder within that folder.
Do you have a firewall set up on any of these machines? If so, which one? Having a firewall on a machine will prevent other machines from accessing it. You will need to grant permissions for each machine into the others.
Last but not least, please set up security on you wireless access point. Most of todays wireless products are rated for up to 1000 feet away unobstructed and 100 to 300 feet away indoors. This means your neighbors can access your network and internet connection. I strongly recommend you read all security documentation you can find from the WAP manufacturer to learn what you need to do there.

Good luck and enjoy :cool: