PDA

View Full Version : Stressful LAN troubles...

bigbadbrand
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
My friend was setting up a LAN connection at his house and we've been very unsucessful. He recently got a second computer:
Intel P4 3.0 GHz (Socket 478)
Asus P4VP-MX Motherboard
512 DDR RAM
2 Seagate 7200 Hard Drives 40GB each
(I do not recall the hub name, but it's one by Hawking Technologies, and is supposed to be Plug and Play, and on that note came with no drivers on a CD)
Anywho, he set up the router with the WAN connection and his old computer and it worked fine, he could connect to the internet. But when he plugged in this new one, it couldn't connect. I figured it was the drivers, so we downloaded and installed all the drivers, and still no connection. We then took a Hawking Technologies PCI Network card, installed the drivers, and then connected it all together: still nothing. Mind you we did do the Microsoft Network Wizard several times. I'm just stumped how the first computer can get the connection when it's plugged in but this one can't, even though we enabled PnP O/S on the motherboard.

I really need some help from someone who's aware of this situation, I think the motherboard might be trash. And I don't know if this piece of information will help, but whenever I boot into a Knoppix CD the USB mouse works, where as when booting to Windows, it doesn't. None of the USB ports seem to be functioning. Prehaps the BIOS needs updating?

neveryonas
07-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Is this XP?Was he able to connect to the internet directly with the modem?
Does he have a valid ip
start-->run-->cmd-->ipconfig

An ip starting with 192. would be a valid router ip
For a start anyway...
ANother thing to try, is to unplug the modem, then the router,
shut down the pc, plug the modem back in, and once the on-line light is solid,
plug the router in, then turn the pc on.

Usually works for me

deddard
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Networks rarely have anything to do with bios (unless you are looking at doing a wake on lan).

THe motherboard you mentioned already has a 10/100 NIC built in - did you put the PCI card into this motherboard, or onto the other PC?

It's always worth keeping things simple when setting up networks - you mention a hub as well as a router. Does the router have a built in switch (several RJ45 ports labelled LAN)?

If we can get a picture of how these things are wired up, then we can look at the problem with clearer eyes.
Please give a few details of how things are connected and configured

e.g.
Router (make/model) set to DHCP server
PC 1 10/100 PCI ethernet card to switch on router, using 10metre Patch cable. Operating system Win XP SP2
PC1 set to DHCP
PC 2 10/100 ethernet card to switch on router, using 5 metre Patch cable. Operating system Win XP SP2
PC2 set to DHCP

alex666
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
If we can get a picture of how these things are wired up, then we can look at the problem with clearer eyes.
Please give a few details of how things are connected and configured

e.g.
Router (make/model) set to DHCP server
PC 1 10/100 PCI ethernet card to switch on router, using 10metre Patch cable. Operating system Win XP SP2
PC1 set to DHCP
PC 2 10/100 ethernet card to switch on router, using 5 metre Patch cable. Operating system Win XP SP2
PC2 set to DHCP

Along with the above, be sure to mention whether you're using 3rd party firewall protection.

bigbadbrand
07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
neveryonas
Yes, this is Windows XP, both computers are running Windows XP Professional SP1.

On his original computer (the one without any issues), he is able to connect to the internet upon plugging in his cable to the hub. The WAN from the modem is connected into the hub correctly, and no this computer was not able to connect to the internet directly through the modem either.

Seeing as how I'm not at his computer now, I do not recall the results from the IPConfig command. But I remember that the only two showing results were "Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0" and I think IP adress starting with "192". Then again, I'm not 100% sure.

I also did not try that shutdown and plug in sequence you mentioned. I did however do alot of unplugging and shutting down, just not in that particular order.

deddard
What the heck is a 10/100 NIC? And the PCI card was put in the computer that cannot connect to the internet, which is also the one where the USB ports don't work when booting into Windows.

I was unclear about the set up, sorry. There's the modem, connected to a hub, and both computers also feed into this hub. The older computers internet works, the newer one does not.

The hub details are found here: http://www.hawkingtech.com/support/details.php?CatID=36&FamID=49&ProdID=145

As for the modem I don't know the model/make, I'll ask and post later when I find out. I hope this clears things up..

deddard
07-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Apologies for the techie talk - a 10/100 NIC is a 10Mb per second or 100 Mb per second Network Interface Card.
THe PCI card you mention will be one of these.

We just need to clear up whether there is a ROUTER involved here. Your last post mentioned modem - HUB - computers.
This set up wouldn't work for Internet access from both PCs - there must be a Router involved.

A Router: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
is a different thing to a
Switch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_switch
modem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem
or hub: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_hub

A Router is designed to have at least two interfaces:

The WAN connection, which connects to a cable/DSL MODEM
At least one LAN connection, which connects to a PC or SWITCH.
Routers often have a SWITCH built into them.
Once you have found the details post back and we can take it further.

The hub (actually a SWITCH - a better type of technology) you mention doesn't require any setup - it hasn't actually got anything directly to do with Windoze, so don't worry about that part of the setup.

I know a lot of the terminology is confusing - we all started at the same place, so don't worry about taking things slowly. :)

Erik
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
If that is indeed the exact device being used then it won't allow for internet sharing. As already mentioned a router is needed for that. What would happen if you connected both PCs to this switch and the modem to it is one PC would connect to the internet. The other one would not be able to.

You really need to get the exact ipconfig info for both computers. It will help to determine if they are indeed on a router or a switch, and if they have valid IP address information.

bigbadbrand
07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Oooooooooh, I get it now.

Thanks, you guys have been a real big help. I always thought they were all kinda the same thing. I feel like an idiot, I'll go buy a router ASAP. Thanks, you guys are the best.

alex666
07-12-2006, 08:56 PM
We just got a highspeed cable modem and so I wanted to set up a home network to connect all 3 systems to that modem via a router. I build my own computers but never had dealt with a network before and was totally lost. I came here and these folks walked me through it. Plus when I had some trouble with my wall connectors last weekend, Erik helped me sort it out.

So be sure to post back after you get your router if you've got questions. You'll find help here.

marty