PDA

View Full Version : Network issues

CommonCents
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Ok heres my problem. While I was setting up my home network, i somehow erase(?) my ip on my desktop. I cant get on the internet on it. i get the constant "acquring network address" but it hasnt connected yet. i can get on through my laptop but i have to get my desktop working as well. Can someone help me out?

CommonCents
09-24-2006, 12:08 PM
when i try to renew my ipaddress i get "the operation failed as no adpater is in the state permissible for this operation"

not sure what that means

Whyzman
09-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Is that the exact error message?

CommonCents
09-24-2006, 12:35 PM
yes it is.

Whyzman
09-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I tried copy/pasting into Google to do some research and nothing comes up. Usually, that happens if the error message is not exact...

CommonCents
09-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I tried copy/pasting into Google to do some research and nothing comes up. Usually, that happens if the error message is not exact...

ok i'll try to go step by step.

i typed in cmd in the run setup

typed in "ipconfig /renew"

I get:

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation

i dont know what the heck i did. i tried going to system restore but i cant restore to an earlier time either

Fred_Flintstone
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Try googling without the quotes and you get This (http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=26502) Seems to point to a driver issue??

Whyzman
09-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Also,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067/

CommonCents
09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
well i finally got it back working. i downloaded the updated NIC drivers. unplugged my modem and router(and reset it). hooked the modem back up(with no router) to the computer then hooked the router back up. seems to be working fine now.

Thanks alot!

now i have another question if i wanted to change my ip address, or hide it, how would i do it? heard this might be something i would want to do(while searching for info on my previous issue)? Seems to be a hot topic so i would like to know how to do it for future ref.

Erik
09-25-2006, 08:01 AM
If you are behind a router it is already being handled for you, so don't worry about it.

A router does what is called NAT (Network Address Translation). This takes the single public IP given to you by your ISP and assigns it to the router. The router will then assign each PC a private IP address, and make all requests for internet traffic form the single public address. This way it seems from the outisde as if you have a single PC, but if anyone tries to reach it via that addres it will be blocked by the router.

Whyzman
09-25-2006, 08:09 AM
but if anyone tries to reach it via that addres it will be blocked by the router.The public address?

PrntRhd
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Whyzman,
Erik is talking about port scans, etc.
The HDD of the client PCs is hidden by the NAT process so the contents of the HDD are not visible from the Internet public address.