PDA

View Full Version : new computer purchase

ce
01-11-2002, 11:22 AM
I need to upgrade my 3 yr old gateway 300x.Used mostly by 5 yr old kids for games,scanning,printing.Is there something that will hold it's own for 2-3 yrs? Don't want to spend more than 1k.

andyswork@beci.net
01-11-2002, 02:20 PM
I would buy the parts and build my own. You can build an outstanding system for well under $1000. Plus you will learn, all of us here are more then willing to help. Do google search for computer parts and have fun. Also many new systems out there for well under $1000, if that is the way you want to go. Keep the old one to play with. Welcome to the PC Guide.

------------------
One day I will be a pro, Thanks Andy

[This message has been edited by andyswork@beci.net (edited 01-11-2002).]

Hobit
01-20-2002, 05:29 AM
Ce,

Ditto, andyswork! For a 1K or less you can build a system that will hold it's own for now as well as offer an upgrade path for latter. The actual assembly is really not a heck of a lot more complicated than changing a light bulb. (If you have difficulty changing a light bulb ignore all this and others advise about building your own.) The real skills are in planning, sequencing, and installing software and cards and drivers once the components are assembled. If you're interested have a look at pricewatch.com for components. Do try and purchase monitor and case locally if you can as shipping tends to add-up.

Hobit

[This message has been edited by Hobit (edited 01-20-2002).]