PDA

View Full Version : Printer Config Question

rio_bugarin
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a lexmark x2350.

How do I cancel all print jobs whenever I restart my computer?

The problem is, when someone failed to print something, the print job prints after the restart. and sometimes the user tried to print multiple times so the same page is printed over and over. I had to go to the printers folder to delete the prints in queue.

BTW, I have windows XP Home.

karthik
10-29-2006, 01:36 PM
After the restart of what the computer or the printer ? does the prints starts
You have to set number of copies so that same page is not printed over and over

rio_bugarin
10-29-2006, 02:41 PM
After the restart of what the computer or the printer ?
Both. Even if I turn off my computer, the print jobs remain in the printer folder. When I try to print, It will print the previous print jobs.

Its seems as if they are saved somewhere and is just waiting for the printer to be available

does the prints starts
You have to set number of copies so that same page is not printed over and over

I forgot to mention, there is a pop up screen telling me that the cartridge needs alignment every time I try to print something.

I had printed this alignment but it still pops up so what I usually do is click cancel for this alignment page, then the page prints out fine,

The problem is, other people dont know about this and they end up filling up the printer folder with the same print jobs.

PrntRhd
10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
It sounds like you have some sort of print driver corruption that is causing the alignment message error and holds up the print jobs in the spooler.
My suggestion is to be certain the printer que is empty, then uninstall/reinstall the printer per Lexmark's directions, downloading the latest driver from their website might also be a good idea.

If nothing else works, this will:
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

rio_bugarin
11-03-2006, 10:11 PM
thanks PrntRhd. Unfortunately I don't have time to test it at the moment. I'll keep you guys informed when I do it.

Whyzman
11-05-2006, 05:09 AM
How do I cancel all print jobs whenever I restart my computer? I suspect that the printer icon will be showing in the lower right corner as long as there are items in the print queue.

If so, perhaps the better thing would be to delete jobs in the queue before shutting down.

Paul Komski
11-05-2006, 05:44 AM
There are various reasons for a print queue to become "jammed" (with faulty cables or out-dated drivers being a couple of common causes). These can either result in a still jammed printer queue on reboot or else for printing to recommence with whatever is in the print queue at that time.

In WinXP anyway you can either manually open the printer and from the Printer Menu choose "Cancel All Documents". You may have to wait a minute or so because it never seems to clear immediately.

You can also address the problem programatically, and what you need to achieve is to delete all the "printer-job-files" where they live in the %windir%\system32\spool\PRINTERS folder. They will be in use until the spooler service is stopped. Use a simple batch file (or command prompt of course) with the single line: Net stop spooler to stop the spooler service and disengage the hooks into those files.

Then you can delete all the files in the printers folder using the command: del c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers\*.*

The printer spooler next needs to be restarted so then its: Net start spooler

You can combine all three lines into one batch file which you could put in the Startup folder but you will need to put in a delay after the first line (and I cant remember just now the correct syntax) because as with all printer service commands there can be 'palpable' delays before the executions complete.

Net stop spooler
rem PUT IN AN APPROPRIATE DELAY HERE
del c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers\*.*
Net start spooler

This works for my WinXP but dont know about other systems.

PS

There should be a method of creating the necessary delay at: http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm

mjc
11-05-2006, 03:30 PM
If, for some reason, your system partition isn't on C:, adjust the drive letter in the batch file to match...