PDA

View Full Version : XP?? 98se?? Big difference??

THunDA
02-20-2002, 12:47 AM
Hey whats up everyone
Just wondering I've read some reviews on windows xp and they seem all good ...right now im using win98se and seems kinda good But I was thinging of buying XP and doin a clean install of XP ...IS There that much of a difference ??? Plus Im worried bout some thing not working or not being compatible with XP ...well here is what I got ..
HARD DRIVE= WD 40 GIG...7200RPM
OS= WINDOWS 98SE(CLEAN INSTALL)
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
PROCESSOR= AMD 1800+ XP @ 1.533 with Dynatron HSF copper one
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
VIDEO CARD= VOODOO 5 5500 AGP
SOUND CARD= SOUND BLASTER XGAMER
INTERNET= EXTERNAL CABLE MODEM\SOHO ETHERNET CARD
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
GAME CONTROLLER= GRAVIS EXTERMINATER GAME PAD
CASE= ANTEC OUTSIDE \WITH 5 CASE FANS AND A CYCLONE BLOWER FAN
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT
TEMPS= after playn some games about 50c

And I mostly play Mechwarrior 4(ALOT) ,Serious Sam,Superbike 2001....
Well I was just wondering if its really worth the change??

Thanks
THunDA

iisbob
02-20-2002, 01:18 AM
In short, yes.

If you are famaliar with how the OS's work,then XP makes a lot of sense because it combines the best features of the 95 kernel with the best features of the NT kernel; giving you a true 32 bit OS that is not only stable but absolutely the first true plug & play OS ( even better than W2K ).

There are still some minor bugs-all MS products have 'em, but overall i've not been so impressed with a window's product since the debut of 95.

I also play Mech4, Elite Force, Serious Sam, Quake III, Combat flight sim II, Starlancer, etc..., and they all work flawlessly.

I would suggest that you do a dual boot for awhile, until you can famaliarize yourself with how XP works, then you can decide to go with it as your only primary OS, or revert back to using just 98 if it turns out you don't like it.

As for your hardware, ever thing looks just finme for XP-more than likely you won't even have to install any driver's at all-they should all be in XP's HCL.Your setup is very similar to mine-'cept i use a Geforce3 Ti500 w/K7S5A board.

------------------
iisbob

CPU= 5mhz
Memory= 16 K
Storage=10.2MB's
Video=Onboard S3 4K
Modem=14.4 baud
Sound=ISA Yamaha 8bit
Mouse=2 button MS
Monitor=ACER 12.5"
OS= { dual boot }DOS 2.1 & WIN 3.1

My ultimate gaming system :)

THunDA
02-20-2002, 02:17 AM
hey thanks ...I've been have some random crashes and was thinking of reinstalling OS and upgrading ...so from what I hear it seems real good..thanks for input..
by the way not to sound dumb but what a Kernel ?... Im still learning but gettn there http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

THunDA
02-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Oh Yea I like your Ultimate Gaming puter...lmao,,,lol

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

hiredgoonz
02-20-2002, 08:44 AM
The voodoo5 is not going to work nearly as well under XP as under 98SE...the drivers just aren't there. Some third party developers have created various "hybrid" drivers that work ok, but none of them provide the same functionality as under 98.

Why don't you try a dual boot system...that way you can use XP for non-gaming times that you want stability and still have the ability to boot into 98 for gaming without having to upgrade your vid card...

------------------
When all else fails, read the instructions.

THunDA
02-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Well Actually my next upgrade was gona be to the new Gforce 4 ...so I guess I might just try this it out ...where can I get some info on dual boot?
Thanks

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

hiredgoonz
02-20-2002, 09:29 AM
It's very simple...create a separate partition on your hard drive (well, it's simple if you know how to do this)

Boot with your XP cd and don't select the option to Upgrade, instead do a clean install and specify the partition you created as the installation location...leave the file system as fat32 unless you don't want to be able to access the XP files from 98...

It will install XP and the XP bootloader...the next time you boot your system, it will show a list of operating systems. The default (top one) will be Windows XP and the next one will just say Windows (98)...

If you aren't familiar with disk partitioning, I would recommend Partition Magic...it's easy to use and automates everything...if you are familiar, or want to learn (AND HAVE ALL YOUR FILES BACKED UP) you can just use fdisk, but then you'll have to reinstall 98 and install XP afterwards...

------------------

THunDA
02-20-2002, 11:44 AM
I just bought Windows XP Pro. wish me luck gona try to install tonight when I get home http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif I'm gona try XP straight up if it dont work with something I could always try the dual boot after I guess..Any tips when I install?? Should I take out all add on pci cards before install?Do I leave cable modem connected to Ethernet card while installing or unplug??..
Thanks for help

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

mjc
02-20-2002, 11:53 AM
XP does a pretty good job of detecting PnP devices and installing drivers for them (they may not be the best drivers, but they do work)...so i would leave them installed.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

THunDA
02-20-2002, 01:18 PM
So your sayn that XP will install drivers for my add on cards during setup..(kinda generic drivers?)then If want to upgrade driver after I can??

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

mjc
02-20-2002, 01:37 PM
Yep, and some may actually be pretty good...the sound driver for onboard sound on an i810 motherboard was much better than the driver under 98...but things like video cards would probably need updated drivers to get the most out of them......

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

hiredgoonz
02-20-2002, 01:40 PM
For some things XP will install better drivers than you can find (my Compaq laptop modem, for example, you can't get XP drivers for it from Compaq, but XP installs drivers for it that work perfectly)

If you install XP over 98 and then want to dual boot, it's a little trickier. You'll have to create an emergency repair disk for XP, install 98 and then boot using the XP cd, select Repair a Windows XP installation and then use the ERD when prompted...

------------------

Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;rid;kbinfo)

Google (http://www.google.com)

THunDA
02-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all your input ...tonight is the night...lol..I'll let ya's know how I make out..
OH AND THIS FORUM DEFINITLY KICKS MAJOR BUT http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif VERY HELPFULL

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

iisbob
02-21-2002, 12:57 AM
To answer your original question; a Kernel is the core of your operating system.

Think of it as the one file that actually is window's itself { there really are other files that make up the " core " of window's-or any other OS-but the Kernel is a generic term to cover the main file. }.

Browse Charles site ; the PCGuide itself-he has a wonderful tutorial on window's itself. And i would advise you to use Google some, just type in window's kernel and let it take you to a better Education. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
iisbob

CPU= 5mhz
Memory= 16 K
Storage=10.2MB's
Video=Onboard S3 4K
Modem=14.4 baud
Sound=ISA Yamaha 8bit
Mouse=2 button MS
Monitor=ACER 12.5"
OS= { dual boot }DOS 2.1 & WIN 3.1

My ultimate gaming system :)

THunDA
02-21-2002, 10:56 AM
Windows XP Rules so far....easy to install and it did all the hardware installing on its own.. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif just a question when I installed booted up the first time and looked around on c: I found some old folders from games and other stuff ..I wanted a clean install did I select something wrong ??I deleted them from c: and didnt seem to affect anything..it runs great actually ..but dont know if I got all the files deleted..is there a way to get to a dos prompt and format c: there ?
Thanks

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

Aliquis76
02-21-2002, 01:42 PM
So wait - I'm a little bit confused as to whether you dual booted or just installed XP. if you dual booted i was wondering how you formatted your partitions....just a curious gamer over here.

i personally am very much against windows XP - but people often rave about it - especially for games. i'm against corporate spying.

hiredgoonz
02-21-2002, 01:46 PM
When you do a clean install the way you did, it leaves the folders on the hard drive that were there to begin with so you don't lose data...if you don't need it, delete it...

------------------

Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;rid;kbinfo)

THunDA
02-21-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Aliquis76:
So wait - I'm a little bit confused as to whether you dual booted or just installed XP. if you dual booted i was wondering how you formatted your partitions....just a curious gamer over here.

i personally am very much against windows XP - but people often rave about it - especially for games. i'm against corporate spying.

Hey Aliquis76
I just installed XP alone and had 98se before ..but when I followed instructions ..I thought XP formated and erased everything but now im learning different..from my research now I believe I need to boot from a 98 boot disk then format and delete partitions ..then boot to XP cd and install from there ..then it will be clean install http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif and by the way Ive heard bad stuff bout anything but XP seems more stable and much faster for me ..but Ive only had it for a night..lol http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif hope it stays good
Peace THunDA

------------------
BIOS VER.=1006
MOBO= ASUS AV7-266-E
RAM= 2 256DDR =512
MONITOR= IBM 22"
CDRW DRIVE= HP 9110
POWER= ANTEC 400 WATT

Aliquis76
02-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Yeah i was wondering about that because i know that there are some issues with older games not working with XP. Make sure that you download the JVM for XP - otherwise, you'll have some problems - M$ didn't include that in the sofware due to a litigation dispute with Sun. I'm probably telling you something you knew already though.

THunDA
02-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Ummm whats JVM???? I have no clue...lol

------------------
40 gig WD HD,A7V-266-E mobo Bios 1006.,AMD 1800+,Gravis Exterminator Game Pad,512MB DDR Ram,IBM 22" monitor,Dynatron HSF,Antec 830 Case w\5 fans,Voodoo5500 AGP Bios 1.18,Soundblaster Xgamer,Cable Modem,Windows XP PRO.,Soho Ethernet card,HP 9110 CD Writer,Mitsumi CD rom<<Originally from hp system

hiredgoonz
02-22-2002, 10:04 AM
JVM is Java Virtual Machine...

You don't need to format and reinstall, it did do a clean install insofar as it is not an upgrade of 98SE...it didn't save your program settings, and all your software will have to be reinstalled, but it keeps old data on the drive so you wouldn't lose it in case you had no way to back it up, but didn't want to do a true upgrade...

------------------