PDA

View Full Version : i think i got the wrong DDR ram

dirtfarmer
01-31-2007, 03:32 AM
i think i got the wrong DDR ram for my compter
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :confused:
i got this info from
http://www.crucial.com

Number of Slots:

Slot 1
Slot 2
Slot 3
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700,DDR PC4000 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.Currently installed memory:

256 MB

DDR PC2100

512 MB
DDR PC2300
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700,DDR PC4000 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

To see the memory installed in your computer click the Scan My System button below.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 3072MB
Currently Installed Memory: 768 MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 3
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Duron(tm) Model 7, Stepping 0
CPU Speed: 1000 MHz
Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC
Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered and Registered
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
Max Component Density: 512Mb
184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
Max Registered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
Graphics Support: AGP 4X
USB Support: 1.x Compliant
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i purchase on e bay 1GB PC3200 DDR400 PC 3200 PC2700 DDR 1 GB AMD RAM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300075453552&rd=1&rd=1

JEDEC Standard 184-pin Dual In-Line Memory Module

100% Backward compatible to PC2700 / PC2100

128x4 DDR Unbuffered 184Pin DIMM
Performance: PC3200
DQ DQ Burst Frequency: 400MHz
Inputs and outputs are SSTL-18 compatible
SDRAM have 4 internal banks for concurrent operation
Differential clock inputs
Data is read or written on both clock edges
Bi-directional data strobe with one clock cycle preamble and one-half clock post-amble
Address and control signals are fully synchronous to positive clock edge
Programmable Operation:
Burst Type: Sequential or Interleave
Burst Length: 4, 8
Operation: Burst Read and Write
Auto Refresh (CBR) and Self Refresh Modes
Automatic and controlled precharge commands
Serial Presence Detect
SDRAMs in FBGA Package
RoHs compliance
SPEED: PC3200 (Backwards Compatible with PC2700, PC2100
Enhanced for AMD Based Systems & Boards

Details

l 184-pin unbuffered DIMM

l Density: HIGH

l Maximum 6.4GB/s bandwidth

l JEDEC standard 1.8 +/-0.1V power supply

l 128x4 component configuration

l CAS Latency 3

l 4 Bank

l Off-chip driver (OCD) impedance adjustment, and on die termination (ODT)

Product Name

1GB DDR400 400MHZ (PC3200) 184 Pin SDRAM MEMORY

Technical Information

Memory Size
1GB DDR 184Pin

Number
1 x 1GB

Memory Speed
400 Mhz

More Information
1024MB x 1

High Density Chip configuration

Non ECC

Non Registered

UnBuffered

CAS LATECY CL3

PCB LAYER :

6 Layer

Non Parity

Physical Characteristics

Form Factor
184-pin DDR

Gold Pin

Green PCB

Warranty
Life Time Manufacturer warranty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Requirements :
1. Your system / Board must be able to use 1GB DDR modules
2. Not an Intel based or has ASUS board or nVidia Chipset on Board

Compatible with ALL OTHER MAJOR boards and Systems with AMD Processors:

These and more:

Microstar
Gigabyte
Abit
DFI
ECS
PCCHIPS
EPOX
Chaintech
Biostar
IBM

Brand New
Compatible

Brand New Compatible

Designed to specifically work with AMD based Motherboards

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

it all come down to high density and low density,, i should be use low, but i got high, some thing i did not know any thing about on til to nite

jlreich
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
It seems to be some kind of specialty ram. Just about any other stick of DDR probably would have worked just fine.

The ebay store specifically states that the ram will not work with Intel systems, nVidia chipsets, or Asus motherboards. I see you have an AMD system, but what about the other two?

dirtfarmer
01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
if you mean the other 2 DDR ram im use now in comter , i neve had a problem with them
i presently have DDR pc2100 256 mb and DDR pc2300 512 mb on a my gigabyte GA-7vtxh+ MOBO

jlreich
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I was talking about the ram you got on ebay, it seems it is meant for certain types of systems.

the ram will not work with Intel systems, nVidia chipsets, or Asus motherboards. I see you have an AMD system, but what about the other two?
Meaning I see that you have an AMD system, so you are OK there, but what about the other two things it won't work with? Does your system have an Asus motherboard, or does it use an Nvidia chipset? If it has either of those it won't work according to the ebay store you bought it from.

dirtfarmer
01-31-2007, 11:23 AM
gigabyte GA-7vtxh+ MOBO
AMD Duron CPU Speed: 1000 MHz

Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC
Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered and Registered
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
Max Component Density: 512Mb
184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
Max Registered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
Graphics Support: AGP 4X
USB Support: 1.x Compliant

and yes i notice that to that it does not work on certain then- but even if it tell me high will work-, i most likely should have got a low density DDR ram

jlreich
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Well it should work in your system. :confused:

Compatibility with DDR is usually not a problem. But you are using an older Duron. Perhaps it doesn't support higher densities. But I doubt it.

The VIA KT266A chipset shouldn't be the limitation. I have an old system that has the same chipset and run high density 2x512MB DDR400 sticks in it.

Honestly I don't think it is the high density that is a problem, but rather this is a specialty ram and your system just doesn't like it. ;)

They say it will work in a Gigabyte mobo, but they can't possibly test all motherboards to insure compatibility.

Since you system meets the compatibility list, see if you can return it, and pick up a stick of standard DDR. Or perhaps they will be willing to exchange for something compatible.

saphalline
01-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Those old chipsets were supposed to work with 1GB sticks of DDR, but in practice it was problematic. That's a VIA chipset, by the way - VIA KT266A. And a Gigabyte mobo. Back when that mobo was new, 1GB sticks of DDR266 were just starting to come out. It should work fine with a 1GB stick of slower DDR RAM (DDR266/PC2100) or you can manually adjust the timings in the BIOS. But my overall suggestion is to drop the idea of installing a 1GB stick and just upgrade with 512MB sticks. It's a heck of a lot easier to get working.

dirtfarmer
01-31-2007, 02:59 PM
my gigabyte ga-7vtxh+ manual tell me i can have up to 3.0GB DDR max

and crucial, even tell me i can add 3 stick of 1 GB
so MOBO can handle it

mjc
01-31-2007, 03:43 PM
my gigabyte ga-7vtxh+ manual tell me i can have up to 3.0GB DDR max

and crucial, even tell me i can add 3 stick of 1 GB
so MOBO can handle it

No, not quite...

That is what it is SUPPOSED to be able to handle, whether or not it actually will is another matter.

saphalline
01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
The chipset and mobo can technically handle 1GB per slot. But when people used to upgrade to 1GB per slot with those systems a few years ago, it worked fine only about one third of the time. Another third worked fine after some effort (moving RAM between the slots, adjusting timings in the BIOS, etc). The final third just never worked.

Like I said, it is technically supported. But if you want a chance at having it work, you'll need to put forth some extra effort. If you aren't willing to do that, just drop down to 512MB per slot. That works just fine.

dirtfarmer
02-15-2007, 05:59 PM
well i made the error of geting high density DDR ram
and what happen was only half of the ram show up on my compter, even after i flash the BIOS witha new update

a 1 GB of ram only show up as 512 MB- even when my compter had a better chance of use the ram then other, as it use a gigabyte MOBO andf an AMD cpu

well a lot that did me any was

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

What is the Difference Between Low Density and High Density RAM

(A lot of users have fallen into attractive CHEAP PRICE trap by High Density module sellers and have complained that they are either VERY SLOW and/or will not run at all )

(A lot of users have fallen into attractive CHEAP PRICE trap by High Density module sellers and have complained that they are either VERY SLOW and/or will not run at all )

(eBay are plagued with High-Density 1GB modules at very low price, and you will be wasting your precious time and money having to return those high density 1GB modules to your seller for refund. So AVOID those 'High-Density)
here's a couple of good links to check out in relation to ram

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/75262- high-density-memory-low-density-memory.html

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/113885-info-what-difference-between-low-density.ht ml

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112556

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1999124