PDA

View Full Version : Dual Booting Question

racerboybmw
02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I hae 2 PC's one XP one Win 98, the Win 98 machine has a program I use and need to use frequently that will not work on anything but 98. Can a XP machine ADD a harddrive that has a workin 98 system on it and if so will it boot by choice,or can it run in XP and access the program to run the 98 software i use if I add the drive completely? If not how can a person use both in this strange and twisted world created by the microsoft wizards? The goal is my 98 machine is dying and it would be simple to add adrive if it could work.
Thanks in advance.

azzey
02-25-2007, 10:48 PM
There are a couple of things you could do.

You can't just pop in the drive with 98 on it--you would need to reinstall Win98 for it to boot.

You could, though, download Microsoft Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d58729d-dfa8-40bf-afaf-20bcb7f01cd1&DisplayLang=en) and install 98 on that, that would allow you to do your work without even rebooting.

Rick
02-26-2007, 12:15 AM
There are also 3rd party boot managers that would allow you to multi boot win98 from the second drive

IF both the win98 and the XP system have the same hardware you would not need to reinstall 98 when/if you just install the 98 drive

Paul Komski
02-26-2007, 04:32 AM
the Win 98 machine has a program I use and need to use frequently that will not work on anything but 98This seems to be your main concern. If we knew what the program was we might be able to suggest other workarounds (or not). Some programs will run without reference to the registry whilst others require the original intact registry or a specific .ini file - if the former (or if the ini can be located) then there should be little problem.

Migrating to a virtual PC would entail the same problems of migrating to a different but real PC, with the added complexity of transferring the relevant data by networking the real and virtual pcs.

I seem to remember (but can't find) some expensive utility that claimed to migrate Win9x systems across to another PC - keeping the programs intact. It's some time ago now.

Sylvander
02-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Move Me 2.5 copies all of the programs and data files from your old computer (including the Registry settings needed to make those programs work on the new system) while leaving all of the new computer's pre-installed software intact. (http://www.spearit.com/about_MoveMe.html)

racerboybmw
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Win 98 disk is not an option since I no longer have one, sorry. The program in question is 3D Home Architect CD Rom Edition- Broderbund Software Inc- 1994 Copyright. I have the XP version of this but it has lost some functionality that I need so I still ise the old stuff on the old machine. The new PC is faster so I would like to get it to work on that one if possible. And thanks for a ll the replies and options- I really do appreciate them.

mjc
02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
You'll either need to get yourself a copy of Win98 or learn to accept the shortcomings of the 'updated' version of HA.

A few things to remember...

1. Win9x is limited to 512 MB of RAM, so the programs that run are it could have memory limitations, too. Newer hardware may or may not be able to run 9x or DOS software...especially when you start looking at processor speeds that were nearly unheard of when 9x was new.

2. Backwards compatibility only goes so far, and in the MS world, it isn't all that far. It is pushing XP's limits trying to get DOS software to work (Win 3.x)...

racerboybmw
02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the tip

Paul Komski
02-27-2007, 03:38 AM
I had thought that what was wanted was to migrate a whole intact system (with all its settings and so forth) but if its just a matter of a reinstallation on a Win98 box then azzey's suggestion of VirtualPC running Win98 would seem a good choice. I did this very successfully with a very old DOS-based program than ran economics models for an uncle of mine. MSVPC is a free trial for 45 days so nothing to lose there to see if it would do the trick.

jlreich
02-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Newer hardware may or may not be able to run 9x or DOS software
There are many new motherboards that specifically say in big bold red letters that due to chipset limitations it will not support win9x/ME. I started noticing this about a year or so ago. Most or all of the new chipsets don't support them anymore.

There isn't much life left for 9x/ME. ;) MS doesn't support it any longer, and now with hardware support fading away...

racerboybmw
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
My MAIN desire is to get the program to run on the new machine, can the Home Architect program be setup on XP ( the original WIN98 version)? That would be the best trick if at all possible- with win98 dying off .

Paul Komski
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
If you have the installer there is little to lose by trying it. It is also possible to run it in Win98 compatibility mode (do this by modifying a shortcut to open the program).

http://i17.tinypic.com/491kioh.jpg

A Virtual Win98 PC would almost certainly work. It produces a Win98 window inside WinXP.

http://i3.tinypic.com/2jg585x.jpg

rond36
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
There are a couple of things you could do.

You can't just pop in the drive with 98 on it--you would need to reinstall Win98 for it to boot.

You could, though, download Microsoft Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d58729d-dfa8-40bf-afaf-20bcb7f01cd1&DisplayLang=en) and install 98 on that, that would allow you to do your work without even rebooting.

Why install Virtual PC 2004 when you can now download Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) absolutely free from Microsoft. It is not a 45 day trial it is the full version.

jlreich is right, Win 95, 98, and ME will not run on a P4 with Hyper-Threading or any duel or quad-core processor.

Paul Komski
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Nice to know about the VPC 2007 but you do apparently need WinXP PRO or better (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en).

racerboybmw
02-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I have XP PRO- do I need to cable them together ( crossover or ?? )? If I run virtual PC will the printer (xp) print the (98) programs on the xp machine or do I need to keep a printer on the 98 machine? I will first try the load with changing the compatability mode and giving it a go.
Thanks again for all the help!

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 02:51 AM
I have XP PRO- do I need to cable them together ( crossover or ?? )?No because its a virtual not a real machine. You install the software and you then start the installed VM in WinXP (look at the two start buttons in the pic I posted earlier). You then install Win98 into the VM program running on the Virtual Machine, which is on WinXP.

If I run virtual PC will the printer (xp) print the (98) programs on the xp machine Unless it has changed for VM 2007, one communicates between the two computers using a virtual network. So the printer or relevant folder(s) on WinXP would be shared and files then copied to a shared folder or the shaed printer on WinXP.

It's one added layer of complexity maybe but not that hard to overcome. One can also switch a floppy or CD to be running on the real or the virtual machine.

It all takes a little getting used to but should become self explantory as you try it out. Any problems and post back here.