PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Reply All Bug

Dinkie Diesel
02-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Using Outlook Express 6.0 in XP Pro SP2. My siblings, mother and I correspond daily. I receive messages from any one of my sibs that has been addressed to all of us including my mother. If I "Reply All" it will automatically drop my mother from the TO: list. If my mother is the originator and I hit "reply all" she will be included in the recipients. WHy is OE dropping my mother from the list of recipeints? I can't find anything on the net using several search engines or at Microsoft.:confused:

Sylvander
02-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Until you find a better solution...

Make a new email with all those recipients included, then close it and specify that it should be saved in the "Drafts" folder.
Then make a number of copies of that in the the Drafts folder.

When you want to send a reply, just open one of those, then either send without the origainal text recieved, or else...
Copy and paste the original text into one of those "Opened" drafts and add your reply.

I often copy and paste the received text into a Word document...
Then add replies in a different color of text interleaved within the text...
Each piece of reply text located right after the comment or question that prompted it.
That way the sender gets to see the comment and its reply in 2 different colors, and then they may add further comment to that in yet another color, and so on back and forth.

It may not look pretty, but it works VERY well.

Dinkie Diesel
02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I currently just add her name back into the list of recipients but it would be nice to have things work as intended.

Paul Komski
02-26-2007, 05:40 PM
If this only happens with mails from one of your sibs it looks as if that sib has not configured things like your mum and other sibs. Carefully compare the headers of mails from that sib with those of your mum's.

Another workaround would be to create a family "group" in the addressbook and then choose the simple Reply button and then change the TO: value to that of the email group.

Dinkie Diesel
02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
This problem happens from all sibs (6). Thanks for the work around. I am well aware of several work arounds but I am looking for the reason it is happening in the first place.

Paul Komski
02-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I receive messages from any one of my sibs that has been addressed to all of us including my mother.
Were these mails originally addressed to multiple recipients or to one recipient with CCs made to the others.

http://i9.tinypic.com/432azvn.jpg

Dinkie Diesel
02-26-2007, 09:41 PM
It will happen in either case. All of us kids use Outlook Express. My mother uses her WebTv. When one of my 6 sisters either originates a new message or Replys All which includes my mother as a part of the multi-recipients My reply all will drop my mother. When my mother Replys All it will have 2 of us in the recipients and teh rest get converted to CC:

Why does all this stuff have to be so complicated? Can't all the geniuses in the world figure this stuff out before they release it to the public!!!

Paul Komski
02-27-2007, 03:44 AM
If you are all communicating so regularly would you consider a public or a private (need to log on) blog or forum. That way you could check the blog/forum when wanted (and from anywhere) and just post once when desired?? Make it your homepage if you wanted and auto-logon and "bob's your uncle".