PDA

View Full Version : Convert USB to LPT

jhyerczyk
02-26-2007, 03:44 AM
I have an old software stock market charting program. I absolutely need it for my job. The program stopped working last week on my pc. I reinstalled it to a laptop. The laptop has 3 USB ports. I connected the PC to my wide carriage printer via a USB to parallel cable. Everything prints except for the charting program. The problem is the program only allows me to identify LPT 1 - 3 to print to. The programmer died last year and there are no updates.

Is it possible to try to fool the program and make it think it is sending the data to an LPT port and not a USB port? The laptop is a dell which has only USB ports no LPT ports.

Please help I really need this program.

Rick
02-26-2007, 03:51 AM
It sounds More like the USB/LPT adapter doesn't support graphics.
Only text ?

Another option is to send the chart to a PDF printer ( creates a PDF file)
Then IF the usb/lpt supports graphics
Just send the pdf to the printer

Paul Komski
02-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Which USB to Parallel device are you using. I have used laptop harbours, for example, that attach to the PC by a single USB cable but have multiple connections (parallel, serial, NIC, PS/2, etc) on the "little box". Parallel printers attached to them were seen as being on LPT1 as far as I remember. I actually have one on order but wont be able to confirm for about a week.

Dell provide such harbours and docking devices as laptop accessories so it's worth speaking to a tech support and get them to confirm which of them would see an LPT1 port before purchasing.

PS THIS (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&cs=iedhs1&sku=730-11450) type of thing. But confirm that the printer is seen as LPT and not as USB via the device.

Paul Komski
02-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Just got to thinking how the properties might be set in your Printer's settings and if already set to USB would switching to LPT1 work. I have a Lexmark that works on either USB or Parallel cables as in the linked pic. Not sure how the drivers side of things works out but my cheapo Lexmark doesn't seem to be too fussy.

http://i12.tinypic.com/2q1gxgi.jpg

mjc
02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
I have an old software stock market charting program. I absolutely need it for my job. The program stopped working last week on my pc. I reinstalled it to a laptop. The laptop has 3 USB ports. I connected the PC to my wide carriage printer via a USB to parallel cable. Everything prints except for the charting program. The problem is the program only allows me to identify LPT 1 - 3 to print to. The programmer died last year and there are no updates.

Is it possible to try to fool the program and make it think it is sending the data to an LPT port and not a USB port? The laptop is a dell which has only USB ports no LPT ports.

Please help I really need this program.

Why did it quit on the desktop? Have you addressed that problem?

The 'Print to File' option should also get you to the printer...but like printing to a PDF it will be a two step process to print the document.

One of the problems with technology is that there are often 'orphans' on the software side. Have you checked for an update to this 'essential' program? It sounds like it is a holdover from the days of Win95...there may be an update to a Win98 or ME version that supports USB devices.