PDA

View Full Version : running out of memory & disk space

HomeSA
02-28-2007, 12:34 AM
As the saying goes, problems seem to come in waves. I don't know if this is hardware or Windows problem, so, sorry if the thread is in the wrong subforum.

I keep getting out of memory and/or disk space messages when I try to save a pdf file off the Internet, or copy and paste text into Word and try to save it. See pics below. I usually have 2-4 instances of browser (IE6) open with a word document. I use the Diskcleanup Wizard under Accessories and dump everything, and it does not make any difference. Sometimes I manage to save to desktop, but can't save to My Documents. Rebooting sometimes helps with Word but not with Acrobat.

197 GB free HD space
14GB in My Documents

Where do I start troubleshooting this problem? I could use some help please.

System spec:
XP Home
Intel P4, Socket 478, 3.2 GHz
Video Adapter ATI 9550, 128 MB, AGP 8X
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y250M0 (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

http://i18.tinypic.com/4cc13lk.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/344e1rt.jpg

Paul Komski
02-28-2007, 04:21 AM
These can be resource problems caused by memory leaks and the like or by having loads of programs running and even by malware. Try reducing what is running by cutting down all Startup Groups in msconfig temporarily. Then see if that resolves the problem as a troubleshooting method rather than a cure.

Sylvander
02-28-2007, 05:00 AM
There is insufficient memory or disk space. Close extra windows and save your work.
NOTE: This behavior has also been reported to occur if you are running certain versions of antivirus software. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211326/)

HomeSA
02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies and links. Reading Sylvander's link got me thinking back. The problem seems to have started when I installed AVG antispyware as part of the infection cleanup that I had posted about a month ago. The AVG antispyware icon is in my system tray telling me that it's running real time. I wonder if that could be eating up memory, or it could've started after one of the Norton Liveupdates :confused:

I make sure that I don't have many applications running, as posted earlier. I will stop the groups and see what happens.

Thanks again. Bummer that there is no straight answer to this, not even on M$ page :mad:

mjc
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
If you have Norton doing active background scanning AND AVG doing it also, that is most likely your problem...Can you run Norton's Live update without the background scanner running? Also, don't discount the fact that you may actually be running out of space...in your temp folder. How much space is in the partition where the temp folder is located?

HomeSA
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
If you have Norton doing active background scanning AND AVG doing it also, that is most likely your problem...Can you run Norton's Live update without the background scanner running? Also, don't discount the fact that you may actually be running out of space...in your temp folder. How much space is in the partition where the temp folder is located?

mjc, thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Norton is the anti-virus and AVG is the anti-spyware. Would they conflict with one another even though one is anti-virus and the other is anti-spyware? I know one should not have 2 AVs running together. They both reside in my system tray. I'd be glad to remove AVG although it seems to work better than Ad-Aware and SS&D. Anything special to removing AVG? Or, is it a straight uninstall?

I'll check the temp folder when I get home tonight. I would think Disk Cleanup takes care of the Temp folder. Or, are you referring to any 'special' temp folder besides the one under Local Settings?

- HomeSA

mjc
02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
While AVG is an anti-spyware, both it and Norton are scanning essentially the same things at the same time, using the same resources...the main difference is WHAT they are looking for. Couple that with the fact that Norton is a known resource 'hog'...

For the TEMP folder...if it is in the default location and there is space on the drive, then it should be fine, but if you've moved it to another partition or something then space could be an issue.

HomeSA
02-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. I'll report back when I nail the cause of the problem.

HomeSA
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Reporting back;

Stopping AVG Anti-spyware and ATI Catalyst from running seems to have cured the problem with saving MS Word documents. Although with 1 gig RAM I figured I shouldn't run into RAM shortages.

However, the problem with pdf files persists. I have discovered one thing. If I try to save (to MyDoc..) with the default file name from Internet, and the file name is long, that is when I get the error message from Adobe. But when I try to save the same file with a shorter file name, I am able to. This is when I am saving to My Documents. The default long file name works when I am saving to Desktop.

I wonder, what is there about saving to My Documents versus Desktop that makes a difference with longer pdf file names?

TIA