PDA

View Full Version : bios in windows xp home

tigerpaw1
02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
every time i boot up,i get a beep and than on the screen it has this message:award bootblock bios v1.0
bios rom checksum error
detecting floppy drive A: media
Insert system disk and press enter.
I don't have a floppy in the drive and it takes 5 or more time of pressing on and off bottom on the computer to get it to boot up.
my question is how can i fix this annoying problem.please help.any advise would be helpful.thanks ted
P.S. i am running windows xp home
i have a compaq presario

HomeSA
02-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Most likely your CMOS battery needs replacing.

mjc
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
The CMOS battery is a coin sized button-cell. It is fairly cheap...about $3 at Wal-Mart, so it would be the first thing I would check.

Hagar
02-28-2007, 03:45 PM
"bios rom checksum error" is NOT the same as CMOS checksum. So a new battery will not help.
BIOS checksum error should not happen unless there is a hardware failure, or a BIOS flash gone wrong.

mjc
02-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I've seen dead batteries do more than spit out the CMOS error, but yeah, in general I'd go along with hardware failure as the more probable cause of the error...and depending on how old the machine is, the most likely area to check would be for bad caps, providing, of course, that a BIOS flash hadn't been attempted.

Swapping the battery is often a good first step...because most machines go way too long without changing it (although, the typical battery lifespan is about 3-5 years, I've seen them kick it long before that).

tigerpaw1
02-28-2007, 04:03 PM
i have a home computer so i don't think i have a battery.please be advised that if i do ? where is it in my tower.thank you ted

mjc
02-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Read my first post...yes, you do have a battery. It is a button cell on the motherboard. It is what keeps the BIOS setting when the machine is powered down/unplugged (also keeps the clock running, etc). It is located somewhere on the motherboard and is about the size of a US quarter.

But some other areas to look at...how old is the machine? Have you attempted a BIOS flash? What model is it?

Any detailed specs you can provide would be very helpful.

computerhilfen
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
As long as you use a standard pc, you'll have a battery. Here you'll see how it looks like: Google Images (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&client=safari&rls=de-de&q=bios+battery&btnG=Search)

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
The following might be relevant.

Award 6.0 BootBlock BIOS Recovery for Abit Motherboards (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html)

tigerpaw1
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
hi paul komski the link you gave me is way out of my league.i would.nt attempt to do that for fear of screwing something up.is there any thing else i can do thats a little simpler.any links i can download.please advise me.also would i replace the battery first to see if thats the problem before doing any thing else until i can get your advise.thanks for your patience.ted

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Try the battery first. Cheap and no risk.

If the firmware is corrupt then you will either need a new chip or try a flash to repair. Flashing is not without risk but if you were going to replace the chip (and would it be worth it) or the motherboard then nothing to lose by trying it out.

tigerpaw1
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
paul is the chip the same as a battery.don't laugh i'am learning.also if i change the battery via chip what else can i do in laymans terms.

mjc
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
No, the BIOS chip is not the same as the battery...

Hagar
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Maybe this article will help about what a battery is. How To Install A CMOS Battery:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/w1510/32w10/32w10.asp

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
The BIOS ROM contains a program hard encoded onto an EEPROM chip and is aka Firmware.
Certain settings used by this program (esp when the computer boots up) are stored on an associated CMOS chip.
The CMOS chip needs a small amount of electricity to retain its settings - even or esp when the PC is powered down - hence the need for the little battery.

So either a bad battery or a bad chip can produce checksum and similar errors that can prevent the PC from starting.

tigerpaw1
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
hi paul.i wrote a post on here a little while ago about my bios an how it takes me forever to boot up because my A drive is running.if you look at my post from earlier it will tell you whats going on.you gave me a thread to try an i have no idea on how to go about it.i put a battery in but that was'nt it.can you give me any laymans instructions on how i can fix this problem.also if i would take my computer an unplug everything than take it back to factory settings as if i just bought it would that do the trick.please help.thank you tigerpaw1

PrntRhd
04-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Paul's advice on replacing the battery is spot on, the reason to replace it is to hold the settings so they stay put. You fix it once and it stays fixed.

See Paleo Pete's sticky re CMOS:
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25502
it is post #2.