PDA

View Full Version : Can't install fresh copy

OrbitzXT
03-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Someone in my family installed Windows again from inside Windows and now theres an option when I start up to to choose between OSes. I never see "Press any key to load from disc" like I usually do to just delete the partitions and start fresh, and I can't do it from inside Windows because when it restarts and goes to the setup screen I get told I can't delete partition because temp setup files are on it. I have CD-ROM as my first boot priority. How else can I go about deleting the partitions to start new?

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Is this Windows XP? It sounds like a parallel installation with two different Windows folders and two entries in the boot.ini file giving you a dual boot menu.

You can start over or simply delete the line in boot.ini that you don't want and then delete the windows folder it is referencing.

Read your boot.ini file by Start >> RClick My Computer and choose Properties >> On the Advanced Tab choose Settings for Startup and Recovery >> Hit the edit button and copy the contents and paste them back here.

You should be able to delete all the existing partitions from the installation CD if that is what you want to do and then clean reinstall. Are you sure you have the BIOS set to boot from the CDROM? Without that you wont get the Press Any Key ... message.

OrbitzXT
03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes Windows XP, I'm interested in deleting the partition and starting clean but can't get into the setup menu to delete the partition as I usually do. I do get a dual boot menu and now that I've deleted the line and don't anymore I still don't get the message to Press any key to boot from disk. CD-ROM is the first priority, I checked for the 5th time. I'm not sure why its doing this.

Paul Komski
03-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Possibly the CD is scratched or faulty in some small way. You could try exploring the CD from windows and then look in the i386 folder and then run the winnt32.exe file. The sequence should be similar to running setup after booting from the CD.

Choose new installation from the first drop down list and follow the prompts carefully when it gets to the part about where to install the new installation. First delete or format the partition and then install to that area.

Fruss Tray Ted
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
1:
Confirm bootable cd in another system's CD-ROM.

2:Try another ROM, burner, etc,

I'm beginning to see a pattern lately that I am not pleased in seeing and it is more and more CD-ROM's are appearing to refuse to boot to, or read disks when the disks are perfectly fine. The cd-rom's are w-a-y tooo coincidentally failing in a narrow time frame imo. Just what the cause is, I don't know, but often just changing drive helps.

Sylvander
03-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Do you have a floppy disk drive?

Paul Komski
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Just to confirm that if you are already running most versions of windows you don't need a bootable floppy or CD. Either autorun the CD or use WinNT32 (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/winnt32.mspx?mfr=true).

This is presumably how someone already created a parallel installation. The trick is to delete the relevant partition at the appropriate time and not add a second or third installation. One just needs to read the options carefully. The other thing to avoid is to not use the default option of Upgrading the existing system.