PDA

View Full Version : XP Services issues

glenb83
03-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I have just formatted my system and started installing everything again. For some reason, I seem unable to access any of the xp services. I right click My Computer and choose manage, get hdd activity for a second or 2, then nothing. The same happens when I try to access compmgmt.msc through the run command. I also get the same thing when trying to access msconfig or services.msc through run.

I am running XP pro sp2. I am pretty sure it worked after doing the clean install, perhaps it is due to a windows update I installed or something? I also noticed that my dvd drive would not autorun or refresh itself. I seemed to have fixed this issue running the xp autorun wizard.

Also, I run CDex 1.51, and when I load it I get an error saying unable to load winspi.dll (or something similar) and it asks if I want to load native scsi drivers. After saying yes, that is when I had the issues with the dvd drive not refreshing. Perhaps this is all related??

Finally, I had an error saying explorer had crashed when I shut the system down earlier today, following numerous other error boxes which I clicked ok on until the system shut down. I have had errors running the services since this, but that said I had not tried to run any services before this for a few days and I have installed many other programs and updates since then. Perhaps all this is related?

If anyone else has experienced similar problems and found a fix, I would be very happy to hear from you.
Thanks

Paul Komski
03-03-2007, 04:13 AM
Can you access these areas in safe mode?

Have you been on a network or on-line without a firewall and an up-to-date antivirus?