PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Vista Ultimate

SilentNightfall
03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Recently, I have been having problems with Windows Media Player and Media Center that revolve around .mpeg files playing video but no audio. I know this is a problem with one of the codecs somewhere, but it will probably take a lot of effort to fix. Since I was considering upgradng to Vista Ultimate in the near future anyway, I was wondering if upgrading now would solve the codec problem. Also, when upgrading, will all files (such as MP3's, etc.) remain on my computer and all 3rd party programs installed? I have never upgraded the OS on any of my previous computers so I'm not too sure what to expect. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Paul Komski
03-05-2007, 08:11 AM
The advice round here is virtually always do a clean installation and not an upgrade. If your drive has adequate space then it can be repartitioned and a dual boot of the old and the new organised. Better still is to put Vista on an added second hard drive.

If vista lets you upgrade then it shouldnt overwrite your data. It comes with WMP 11-vista edition but you can download WMP 11 for XP if you dont have it already - and it has many more codecs native to the download.

Neither upgrade (vista or WMP) should overwrite your files but the advice with any important data is to always keep it backed up off of the computer. Drives can go down without doing any upgrading. Just ask yourself what you would do or how you would feel if the files were gone forever. There are a lot of such crestfallen around.