PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic

^MavericK!
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
HI I'm new here and really hope you can help me. I used PM to rezize one of my drives, but in the middle of the task my PC reboted. Now I have a drive that reads it has 37 gb of info, but I can only see maybe 6 32 bytes files, and 3 big files that don't work. I used SequoiaView (http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/) to see what it was inside the drive and I have lots of .CHK files. Is there a way to recuperate this files. I tried File scavenger and I still get this .CHK files (found0002.CHK).
Is there a way to recuperate the files as they were. I'm prepared to loose them, I really don't wanna.

I really apreciate the help you guys can provide...

Paul Komski
03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
.chk files ususally result from scandisk or chkdisk having been run prematurely and both can make recovery of data less rather than more likely.

You have also learned the hard way that the advice to always backup important data before running any partitioning utilities is not baseless. Another bit of advice, seldom heeded, is to always run chkdisk before resizing or otherwise manipulating partitions - and not aftwerwards if things have gone astray.

Try GetDataBack (www.runtime.org) (for FAT or NTFS as appropriate for the lost data's file system). Free to recover files one by one but purchase to recover files, if recoverable (so do the scans anyway), in batches. The .chk file framents are seldom much good but examining them with notepad or a hex editor might let you see what they came from.

^MavericK!
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
OK, beause everytime I boot my PC it asks me for a scan in this drive. I don't remember doing it, but it may have happen. I'll try to recoves all the files I can recover and format it again. I mainly lost mp3's and videos, some of them very valuable for me. But as you say, I learned the hard way to have backup of my important files.

Thanks for the reply bro...

:)