PDA

View Full Version : Partition with Existing Os

lib319
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi

I have a 40gig drive unpartitioned with win98SE on it. Win98SE takes up 10gigs. Can I FDISK and extended 30gig partition and format this as a logical partition without losing the 98SE OS?

Namely, I want to change 40gig C: containing OS

into

10gig C: containing OS with 30gig D: extended/logical drive. Keeping the original Win98SE install intact on C:

I need the 30gig extended to dual install XP onto.

I've dual booted before but always from scratch, i.e. formatted entire drive before partitioning.

thanks for any help

lib

mjc
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, it can be done...but not with fdisk.

First, there is no method that is going to be absolutely 'safe'...that is any method will have a risk of losing everything. The best thing would be to make an 'image' (Norton's Ghost comes to mind as the most 'famous' program of this type but there are many others) of the current install, then resize the drive. This will provide the most 'security'...

But failing that, you will need to use something like Partition Magic to shrink the current partition,leaving the rest of the drive as free space...and then when you are done you can do what you want with free space.

Post back with what you want and we can come up with a list of what programs and steps you need to do...and whether or not you want to risk losing what is on the drive, now.

lib319
03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks for this MJC.

I'm doing this for a friend who needs the 98SE intact to run Autocad 2000 (they need XP on another partition to run Skype)

I have Acronis True Image so I'm thinking that it would be best to make an image of the 98SE OS, partition/format, install the dual boot and then restore the 98SE image from an external drive.

Good idea?

Had a big problem with PM once where it screwed up the partition table which took a great deal of juggery pokery to get back so I'm always a bit wary of using this app. Does shrinking the partition leave the rest as an extended drive.

Unless there is anything wrong with my preffered method I would be prepared to go the Partition Magic route you suggested.

Thanks

lib

mjc
03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
If you have Acronis...

Defrag the 98 drive to get it as clean and compact as possible, make the image and then repartition the drive, then RESTORE the 98 on the new 10G (or so...I would make it around 12 GB, just to give it a little more room). Then install XP on the free space...it will pick up the current 98 install and set dual boot automatically on install (as long as you don't select an upgrade install in XP).

Paul Komski
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
BiNG (in my sig) would do all the operations you need. You can use it to backup an image first (always wise) and then non-destructively resize your C partition. Go with mjc's suggestion of installing WinXP to the unallocated space and dual boot from the Win98 partition or else create a new primary partition, mark it as active and install WinXP uniquely into it and then setup BiNG as your boot manager.

Defragging is a good preliminary suggestion but please run scandisk on the partition first.

Does shrinking the partition leave the rest as an extended driveNot with either PM or BiNG. Both should leave unallocated space. These two apps do deal with extended and logical partitions slightly differently but that shouldn't come into the equation in this case.

Sylvander
03-08-2007, 04:19 AM
"they need XP on another partition to run Skype"
Is the hardware up to the job of running XP and Skype?

To check that, install and run Windows XP Upgrade Advisor (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx) within Win98SE and read its report before attempting to install XP.

Also check the hardware performance requirements of Skype.