PDA

View Full Version : Drive A accessing

Calli
03-07-2007, 08:20 AM
For the past few weeks, no matter what program I intend to use, or when I first boot into my account, the computer insists on accessing Drive A. (Windows XP Pro) That drive is third in boot order in BIOS so I think it should be ignored unless I intend to use it. It isn't a drive issue as I changed the drive without getting the results I wanted. Is there a way to stop this? It isn't a BIG problem just a nuisance.

mjc
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Clear your "My Recent Documents"...

To Clear the Contents of the My Recent Documents Folder
To clear the My Recent Documents list, follow these steps:
1. Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties.
2. Click Customize.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Recent documents, click Clear List, click OK, and then click OK. Your most recently used documents are removed from the My Recent Documents folder. Note that this action does not delete the documents from your hard disk.

Calli
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I did that, choosing clear list under both headings, general and advanced. It didn't stop the A drive nuisance. Guess it's time to start shopping for another USB drive so that I can disconnect drive A ::(

mjc
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Not quite, yet...

Check the BIOS settings for the floppy.

Check your antivirus settings.

Calli
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Beyond checking for devices in BIOS for boot order, I don't know where to look for info on the A drive. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Whyzman
03-10-2007, 12:56 PM
no matter what program I intend to use, or when I first boot into my account Just to be sure we're on the same page here, is it trying to boot from A:, or it is searching the A: when you attempt to access a program from within Windows?

Calli
03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
It doesn't attempt to boot from A. When I click on my account (XP) or switching programs on the desktop; I hear the A drive accessing the system. This started several weeks ago and I ran a virus scan, cleared out temps, etc. but it is still doing it.

Whyzman
03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Ah, so this would be something different from BIOS. Windows has it in its memory that this was the last drive accessed to store something...I suspect.

mjc's solution usually would cure that me thinks...

What I would suggest doing is attempt to save a file and select a different drive on which to save. See if that confuses Windows into looking elsewhere for the next time...

mjc
03-10-2007, 01:48 PM
What AV are you running?

You may want to check the 'on access' options for it...

Whyzman
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Are you running Windows Office of any sort that might be using "Find Fast?"

Whyzman
03-10-2007, 02:24 PM
You might want to have a look-see in Control Panel for a Find Fast icon...

Sylvander
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
1. Are you saying that the FDD is being accessed [an attempt to read a floppy in the drive] in the following circumstances?

a. During the BIOS's POST?

b. When working within Windows, as a program is being "Opened"?

Re:
1a. In the BIOS Setup, "BIOS Features Setup" [or similar], set...
Boot Up Floppy Seek : Disabled

Oops, post #5 was the last I saw when composing this. :(
That's the trouble with fitting in a post between doing other things.

Calli
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Post is no problem. It just accesses if I try to use a program or when first choosing my account (XP). I do have XP Office on the pc. I did not find a Find fast icon. ????Since I never use any Office software except for Word, I'm not familiar enough with the program suite to know if Find Fast is included. I'm wondering why it only started doing this recently as XP and XP Office has been on the pc for two years plus.

mjc
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Sometimes updates enable 'disabled' features...