PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Files Do Not Appear in Recycle Bin

sirkeled
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Whenever I delete files, they do not appear in the recycle bin. Also, the recycle bin always shows an "empty" icon. I don't know where my deleted files go. I looked at its properties and "Remove files immediately" is unchecked. I don't know what's the problem.

:confused:

Paul Komski
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Which operating system please and are you using any file or drive compression?

sirkeled
03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Windows XP Professional.

What do you mean by file/drive compression? Zip? If that's what you mean then I use WinRar for file compression.

Thanks bud!

Paul Komski
03-08-2007, 03:53 AM
There is a native file compression available on NTFS partitions (which is different from creating zip/rar type compressed archive files).

To compress a file or folder on an NTFS drive
Open My Computer.
Double-click a drive or folder.
Right-click the file or folder you want to compress, and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Select the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click OK.
In the Properties dialog box, click OK.
In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.
Drive Compression is similar.

To compress an NTFS drive
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
Open My Computer.
Right-click the drive you want to compress.
Click Properties.
On the General tab, select the Compress drive to save disk space check box, and then click OK.
In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.

With such compression in place the recycle bin is bypassed, when files/folders are deleted.

sirkeled
03-08-2007, 03:57 AM
^OIC. I don't have any of my folders or drives compressed. (But thanks for that bit though, I might try it to save disk space.)

So, how will I fix my recycle bin? Any other thoughts?

Paul Komski
03-08-2007, 04:23 AM
Presumably these are files on a local hard drive. Files on removable drives also bypass the recycle bin.

I might try it to save disk spaceOK if space is at a premium but there is a small hit on performance and file recovery, in general, can become more complicated - so backup is even more important than normal.

You should be able to see the actual contents (of RECYCLER) with ExplorerXP (http://www.explorerxp.com/) and delete anything in it that it will allow you to. One of the files starting S-1-5-21- will usually not be deletable with ExplorerXP.

You could also delete the recycle bin's underlying folder called RECYCLER. At a command prompt go to the NTFS partition in question by getting to the C:\ prompt for example. Enter
attrib -h -s -r RECYCLER
to make the folder accessible and then enter
rd RECYCLER /s
next agree to the deletion. It will be recreated anew by windows as soon as it is next required.

sirkeled
03-08-2007, 05:58 AM
^This is how my Recycler folder looks like:

http://i15.tinypic.com/33m7bir.jpg

The first folder has 106 MB. Is that where my deleted files are contained?

Paul Komski
03-08-2007, 06:05 AM
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2006.01.10.html

Norton is hiding things. Change the config or uninstall.

sirkeled
03-08-2007, 06:22 AM
^OIC.

I figured out something. I think it's okay to just delete the NProtect folder. But the problem is I get this error when I delete the highlighted files (numbers only w/ no extension):

http://i16.tinypic.com/4grb503.jpg

I cannot delete the whole folder if I cannot delete those files. How do I fix this?

sirkeled
03-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Okay, I've fixed the deletion problem. I have already deleted the NProtect folder. Now, my recycle bin icon shows a "full" bin but it's actually empty. The same problem, whenever I delete a file, it doesn't appear on the recycle bin.

Edit: I think I missed your previous instruction about deleting the RECYLCER folder and I did it just now. My recycle bin is okay now after deleting it.

Thanks a lot for the help!