PDA

View Full Version : Need help!! PC NOVICE!!!Win98se

nativeheat67
03-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I've got an old Packard Bell pb4225cd computer that was given to me, and I'm trying toinstall windows98se, but all that happens when I reboot is the 'puter goes right into a ms-dos prompt for whatever drive I've got it set up to read (generally c, although I've tried a), and I know absolutely NOTHING about how to get it out of ms-dos so I can use the cd-rom disc to install windows! HELLLLLLP!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

johnny_quest
03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
well once you're in dos perhaps you can type

cd D: -enter-
setup -enter-
or use whatever letter the cd rom is

or you can go into the bios and set the boot order to include the CDROM first, that may help

Paul Komski
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
A lot of PBs of that era shipped with a PB restore CD and not a Windows installation CD. Some also needed a special floppy diskette to boot from to initiate the restore from the CD.

mjc
03-09-2007, 01:28 AM
A lot of PBs of that era shipped with a PB restore CD and not a Windows installation CD. Some also needed a special floppy diskette to boot from to initiate the restore from the CD.

Actually, didn't most of them?

Paul Komski
03-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Actually, didn't most of them?Yes I think so. The older ones needed you to boot from a floppy but later on restores could be from a hard drive partition or from a bootable CD.

What isn't clear here is (a) which CD (restore or Win98 setup CD) is being used and (b) how the BIOS boot order has been set.

I suspect MSDOS prompt is not factually correct since it would be unlikely to happen from both an A and a C "prompt" as described and may just be a way of describing white on black text.

so I can use the cd-rom disc to install windows!

nativeheat67 - What is the exact message you are getting and what is written on the outside of the CD and can you set the BIOS to boot from a CD?

You may need to get a special floppy from the PB support site, but it is not the easiest site to navigate (http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?m=step2&i=menu_desktop&new=false) or to find stuff on - particularly for older models. If you have a normal MS Windows installation CD you should be able to install OK (but would need a different MSDOS startup floppy if your PC doesn't support booting from a CD - and older PC's often didn't). Also, if that is the case, you will need to search around for the correct drivers - so some more "fun and games" would be on the cards.