PDA

View Full Version : device driver question

calypso
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
We were having problems with our scanner until I uninstalled the device driver for it. Shouldn't there have been some kind of error message when I looked at the driver for the scanner in the system area? It always said the device driver for the scanner was fine.

johnny_quest
03-08-2007, 08:51 PM
in a perfect world, yes...

what sort of "problems" were you having? OS will usually show driver/hardware conflicts...

Paul Komski
03-09-2007, 04:41 AM
Presumably this is a USB scanner and if such USB devices have driver problems it can get messy.

Why did you uninstall the Device Driver for it and which Operating System are you using and did the Scanner ever work properly?

calypso
03-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes it is a USB scanner in windows XP. The scanner worked great for a long time and then one day using the desktop icon the program would just freeze. We uninstalled/reinstalled the program a few times but this didn't help. To make the scanner work for the next few months we would have to open it through the computer control panel and it would work fine through the "wizard" route. That is, until I tried to use the slide adapter on the scanner the other day. There was no prompt for it in the wizard program. The only prompt for the slide adapter was in the original scanner program which always froze. I uninstalled the device driver from a path in a trouble shooting section. This fixed whatever the problem was I guess.

Paul Komski
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
We were having problems with our scanner until I uninstalled the device driver for itSo you have fixed the problem and are trying to understand what was going on - is that right.

If so you may never know. Of course if you uninstall drivers windows will usually reinstall them the next time the hardware is loaded with windows.

calypso
03-09-2007, 07:14 PM
You are right. Sometimes I get too curious. I am very happy my scanner is working again.