PDA

View Full Version : vista over unvalidated xp pro

ancasterguy
03-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I have xp pro on my computer and want to upgrade with a vista ultimate 32bit operating system. Does anyone know if it will upgrade even though I haven't validated winxp?
I bought the winxp and was told it had a licence to be on several machines but later found out it was a scam. I wasn't prepared to re-purchase the xp again so worked with it. Now considering an upgrade. Am I ok to upgrade or should I be looking at buying a complete vista ultimate full install dvd?:confused:

mjc
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Not 100% on this, but yes, it looks like you will probably need to buy the full version, not the upgrade.

Erik
03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I think you could probably get away with it. You can actually install Vista upgrade without having anything else installed already to do a "fresh" install. Just don't put in any product key, and it will install. Then once installed you can do an in place "upgrade" where you enter the license key.

MS knows of this loophole and is not planning to get rid of it yet. I see no reason to pay more because you got scammed in the past.

FrankSG
03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I think you could probably get away with it. You can actually install Vista upgrade without having anything else installed already to do a "fresh" install. Just don't put in any product key, and it will install. Then once installed you can do an in place "upgrade" where you enter the license key.

MS knows of this loophole and is not planning to get rid of it yet. I see no reason to pay more because you got scammed in the past.
That is correct; and you can do it legally. Check out the link below:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932