PDA

View Full Version : ERROR: Cannot log the user's profile

karthik
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a Windows XP system when I log in with my user name and password a message box is displayed
"Windows cannot log the user's profile but has logged on the default for the system
Detail: INCORRET FUNCTION''

but after the elapse of time (it shows 30 seconds) it logs in and I find my settings remain the same.
----------------------------------------
Is there any problem with my profile ?

Paul Komski
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Under Win2K http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246936

This behavior occurs because the user name you typed during graphical user interface (GUI) mode Setup contains a space or backspace as the last character at the end of the name, which causes Setup to create an incomplete user profile located in the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username folder.

Perhaps its the same for WinXP

Erik
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Or was this ever on a domain? The same thing will happen if you have a network based profile and your computer can't contact the server where your profile lives. It will then load a copy that was stored locally at the last login, and as the message mentions any changes etc. will be lost.

karthik
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Erik,this happens in my office where we have many servers but this problem cannot be linked to a domain as you have said because this happens only on one particular system and not on other systems.
--------------------------
Does encrypting the user profile in document and settings has any connection with what is happening.

Erik
03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Well then it is linked to the domain. There is either a problem with that particular PC not being properly added, not having a network connection, or the profile not having proper permissions.

karthik
03-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Its not a roaming profile,the system has very good network connection and what do you meant by that the profile not having any proper permissions ?
I'm frequently working on about three to five systems and all these are configured with local user profile.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The suggestion given by Paul didn't work.

karthik
04-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Any solutions for this ?

Erik
04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
The profile that is trying to be used might be corrupted or have had permissions changed so that the user can't access it. What to do depends on how much if anything is in that profile. You could just delete it and let Windows make a new one at logon. Or you could rename it with a .old extension and let Windows create a new one, and then copy over key settings and files.

karthik
04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks Erik,
I guess my profile is corrupted, this is because I'm able access my profile and the login shows my username.
I could delete it and let windows to create a new one but I have got settings saved. As you said

Or you could rename it with a .old extension and let Windows create a new one, and then copy over key settings and files.
But how to do it ? Procedure please :)