PDA

View Full Version : XP won't let me log on !

vicki lynne
03-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Hi all. I just loaded an HP Vectra with 191 (?) mb ram with a new clean install of win xp. I'm not sure what I did wrong but when I tried to log on it gave me this message. The system cannot log you on due to the following error. The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted. Please try again or consult your system administrator. What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?:confused:

Erik
03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Seems like you somehow installed as a domain setup. I don't really know how this can happen if you don't have a domain controller as you will typically need to contact one to get permission. Was the computer ever on a domain before and you just did an upgrade or repair install?

Anyway as it is a new install anyway I would recommend just starting from scratch to clean it up right. Another option might be logging in locally (if you even have the drop down box to choose this option) as the built in administrator account. You can then hopefully just remove the domain membership.

vicki lynne
03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the history of this pc. A friend of mine gave it to me kinda as a bet. It was just a stripped down case with the mobo and the power supply and he bet me I couldn't make it work again. Anyway, I'll start over. Thanx.