PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling microsoft works

calypso
03-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I un-installed a trial version of microsoft office which removed the ltkrn13n.dll file, making it impossible to open our microsoft works program. I renamed the wkimging.dll file, hit change in the add/remove program area but it says I need to insert a cd even though microsoft works came pre-installed on our computer when we bought it. Any suggestions?

HomeSA
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Here is one suggestion. They the PC come with a OS Restore and Application Restore CDs? If so, you may try a repair install using the OS Restore CD, if it gives you that option.

calypso
03-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks. I looked all over the place but I can't find any OS cds and of course we didn't make any back up cds of windows when we bought our computer. I guess this is what I get for being lazy.

Sylvander
03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I uploaded a copy of ltkrn13n.dll version 13.0.0.44 to Here (http://www.verzend.be/v/8041635/.html).
[Supplied with "RootsMagic"]
It will be hosted there until Wed 21st March 2007.

Just click on the link above and download the file from there.

I also have version 13.0.0.11 on my system.
[Supplied with "Family Tree Maker 2005"]

Hmm, that didn't work; perhaps such files are not permitted to be shared?

Try THIS (http://www.verzend.be/v/1467437/ltkrn13n.zip.html) in zipped form.

OK, that works.
I downloaded it and unzipped it, and found I'd zipped it inside a folder named "00".
Sorry about that.
Just click to open the folder to get at the file.

calypso
03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Sylvander. I forgot to mention that I found about six ltkrn13n.dll files on my computer earlier when I ran a search for the file. I pulled one out onto the desktop and tried every type of thing then to get microsoft works 7 to recognize it or find it again. I drug the file from the desktop into the program, I copied it into the program and then I tried renaming the file and re-installing microsoft works 7, which is when I ran into the "load cd" problem. I did download the file you secured for me (thanks!) but it didn't help. I don't understand how my progam can not find the file now that I have added it back into its progam. I can see it in with all its other files.

Sylvander
03-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Is there a suitable Windows restore point available?

If not...
1. How do you know this [missing] file is the cause of the problem?

2. Where is the home location of the file? [Where is it being looked for?]
Are you sure it's in its home location?

3. You could try running Regmon.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Regmon.mspx) and Filemon.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx) in safe mode to see if you can spot any useful info, like registry settings not found and the expected home location of the file.

calypso
03-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I tried system restore a few days ago but it doesn't want to work this week for some reason.
I get an error message when I try to open microsoft works 7 that says it can't find file ltkrn13n.dll and reinstalling the program might help.
When I run search for the file there are about 8 of them in different locations on the C drive. I get the same error message when I try to open any of them.
I downloaded regmon.exe. and I entered ltkrn13.dll and it couldn't find a string for it. I don't know if I am using the regmon progam right yet. I will keep you posted. Thanks Syvander.

Sylvander
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
"I tried system restore a few days ago but it doesn't want to work this week for some reason"
Oh, woe is you.
I've never found image backups [restored from an internal or external HDD] to ever fail.
Make a resolution that in the future you will use these.
Then such problems as this will be fixed in minutes.

"I get an error message when I try to open microsoft works 7 that says it can't find file ltkrn13n.dll and reinstalling the program might help"
I imagine that there are settings in the registry...
Used when you run Microsoft Works 7...
That try to run the ltkrn13n.dll file...
And for some reason it just isn't working.
That kind of thing can happen when the file DOES exist and IS in its correct location.
e.g. It's quite typical for a window to come up saying that a file cannot be found, when the file is right where it should be....
And the cause of that is often that a %1 setting in the registry doesn't have quotes around it ["%1"].
[%1 specifies the file selected or to be operated on, and the quotes specifies that long file names with spaces is to be catered for. If a file has a long name with spaces and the quotes aren't used, then the file cannot be located]
What I'm saying is that the cause might be obscure but rather simple.
Perhaps an incorrect setting in the registry.
The simple solution to that is to restore a good copy of the registry [but the files (including their names and locations) must match that registry with its settings].

"I downloaded regmon.exe. and I entered ltkrn13.dll and it couldn't find a string for it"
Unless it has changed dramatically in recent times, it doesn't work in that way.
1. When you run RegMon.exe...
It begins recording and displaying all registry acesses.
So what you do is...
2. You must make sure that no other activities are causing registry accesses. [Close tham all down, or run in safe mode]
3. Run RegMon.exe [Ideally you should see NO ACCESSES]
4. Do the thing of which you want to study the registry accesses, including all the steps you want to study [keep it short and simple]. [Running Microsoft Works 7]
5. As soon as you do that you should see accesses being recorded.
6. When the activity you want to study has completed, stop RegMon.exe recording [File->Capture Events (Untick)].
7. Study the recording to see if you can find anything significant.
The accesses are numerous and complex; try to get a feel for what's going on.

malcore
03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
You need to put the .dll file in your Windows\System32 folder. Once you have copied the file there, try registering it by typing in the Start - Run box

regsvr32 ltkrn13n.dll
Press OK. Then see if Works will start.

sburtchin
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Works was a crippled and hobbled version of Microsoft Office with all the good features removed - the last time I looked. If you can't get Works running again, have you considered OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org), which is FREE, almost as good as Microsoft office, and nearly identical look & feel? I didn't check, but I would bet that it can read all your Works data and save in the Works format, or it's own OpenOffice format as you choose.

calypso
03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank you everyone. You have provided alot of good information for me to delve into. I will hand in my papers tomorrow. I always hated homework. : (

calypso
03-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Sylvander, that was interesting about the registry being off just a few brackets.
I checked regmon.exe but I can't get it to find anything. It is embarrassing but I will figure it out today.
Malcore, I tried that but it didn't work.
Sburtchin, Microsoft Office will open the documents but I can't edit etc. with it.
The great news it that I guess we did back up our windows os when we bought our computer. My girlfriend just found two recovery disks.