PDA

View Full Version : Vista Ultima Will Not Connect To The Internet

wundermutt
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I have installed a fresh copy of Ultima onto my PC and all things appeared to be running smoothly. I received no error messages or conflicts of any sort. Great I thought an, OS that worked first time out of the box.

Wrong. My D Link DSL-300T ADSL Modem will not connect to the internet. Checking in network settings - or Vistas version of it - shows that that the green line runs from a picture of a PC, through the network and onto the internet.

Checking with my UK ISP shows that they can see me getting an IP address and that matches with what Vista says I'm getting.

Checking with D LINK support and they state that the modem does in fact work with Vista straight out of the box. Oh and one other thing about the DSL-300T, D LINK have stopped supporting it so I shouldn't expect any more help on that score again.

Another annoying thing is that I cannot ping the address of the modem nor can I connect to it via my browser which I can when running under XP Pro.

So anyway enough of my rant. What I wanted to know was whether anyone had successfully connected to the internet using a D LINK DSL-300T ADSL Modem, and if so how.

bassman
03-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey wundermutt.
I do not use D-link, nor am I using Vista yet but my first thought on reading this is, is your firewall preventing you from going out?

wundermutt
03-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey wundermutt.
I do not use D-link, nor am I using Vista yet but my first thought on reading this is, is your firewall preventing you from going out?

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the firewall and allowed IE to go through it. I 'll have another look at it and see if I can find some more info on the Vista settings for the firewall.

bassman
03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Or turn it off and go with ZA :D ;)

rond36
03-17-2007, 10:07 AM
ZoneAlarm Software System Requirements (http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_zap.jsp;jsessionid=F7mVAe5WABolON4bBZ1Urp F8LH2yNf1gMJuJ7rgQr7zuIot71bMj!1637100908!-1062696904!7551!7552!NONE?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en)
Windows 2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP).

Attention Vista Users: ZoneAlarm is not currently compatible with the Vista operating system.

To get to your modem/router's setup webpage in Vista go to control panel and open the Network and Sharing Center. In the left pane choose "View Computers and Devices" if your device is there right click on it and choose "View device webpage". While you are in the Network and Sharing Center try running the "Set up a connection or network" wizard.

wundermutt
03-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Or turn it off and go with ZA :D ;)

Under XP I use ZA and it works like a charm. They have just released v7 and it doesn't support Vista. Will try and look the options listed above by rond36. Do I setup my network as public or private? I did select Public purely based on the fact that I am connect to the net 24/7.

rond36
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
If your computer is on a network that is behind a hardware firewall such as a router with NAT, SPI and/or MAC filtering you should set your network up as private so that you can turn on file and printer sharing and network discovery.

If your computer is connected directly to the Internet and your MODEM does not have a hardware firewall you should set your network as public so that other users from the internet can't browse your files, use your printer, and network discovery will be turned off.

wundermutt
03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
The answer to this problem is as follows:

In the TCPv4 settings I entered 192.168.1.1 as the IP for the gateway which is the IP of my modem and I could connect straight away.

Many thanks to all who helped here and elsewhere with this problem.