PDA

View Full Version : Name that Virus!

EddieSteel
03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I running Windows XP on a Sony Vaio GRX560 laptop for little over a year now and despite many constant problems, they've all been managable. Recently, I got a new mp3 player that required an SP2 uprgade and ever since i've installed it, i've had serious problems.

I've got this virus that's like, "eating" the screen. Sometimes it's totally clear, sometimes it's so obstructed and pixelated it's useless. Sometimes there's red bars, sometimes green boxes. I've reformatted several times to no effect. I swapped out harddrives and reloaded Windows onto it and still the same problems remain. So they must be in the computer mother board or something, right? I've tried several virus and spyware programs including Avast and Norton, neither of which were installed at the time cause they make my computer run so slow and never seem to stop the problems anyhow. They didn't find anything. So what, do I toss this piece of trash in the garbage or what?

At the time I was running BitLord, downloading various files at once. Also, some days before the problem started, I downloaded something called Vodei mp200 or something, a "codec" one of my mpgs needed to run. I'm usually pretty loose about such things cause a quick reformat and all's better. But now, it's perma-screwed.

It seems to be impairing no other functions. Everything is running at the same speed and reliablity as before.
Any help?

Whyzman
03-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Have you updated the video card drivers?

EddieSteel
03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
yup. I updated everything and everything ran great for about two weeks. then, kaz-blammo! I was in too good of a mood. It started with just a few scattered pixels sort of changing color and looking odd, then it grew and swarmed out. Now, most of the time, it's covered in either red or green horizontal lines, like morse code. It discolors web pages or blurs the colors too and fro. Some times it looks like the Matrix. Sometimes it's non stop activiety. Some times it's just freezes and stays all nice in the background. It goes extra bonkers when I play video. just like that it will all clean up and run normal for anywhere from ten seconds to a day, just so you'll think it went away, and then, rah-hah! Gotcha! so, you know, it's pretty irritating.

Whyzman
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, with a laptop it's pretty tough to swap video cards...

It sounds like the video is failing... I wonder if you might be able to run dxdiag when it's working properly and see if anything turns up...

Budfred
03-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I would try an external monitor as well... If the external monitor works okay, it is something specific to the built-in screen...

While it is highly likely that you got infected with that codec, it is highly unlikely that you are still infected if you wiped and reinstalled...

If you are going to be cavalier about security, you may want to consider running in a virtual environment... Then when you shut it down, it is wiped and you can run it again the next time you need it...

Sylvander
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Load and run Knoppix from a Knoppix Linux Live CD (http://www.knoppix.net/get.php).
If the problem has magically disappeared, then you can be pretty sure that...

1. There's nothing wrong with your hardware [HDD excluded], or BIOS.

2. It's pretty certainly a problem with the software that's loading off the HDD [the software loading from the Knoppix CD is certainly uninfected/un-chaotic/orderly/perfect].

EddieSteel
03-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Tried the external monitor, got the same results.

Don't know what a virtual enviorment is, but it sounds handy.

Am exploring the Knoppix thing.

EddieSteel
03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Seems to be a hardware issue. I beat the hell out of it in a drunken rage and right before I hurled it against the wall it started working again. Tricky positioning of the screen angle and gentle tapping in the corners produced various results ranging from perfect to useless. I took it all apart and cleaned everything and put it back together again, but it didn't do anything. I'm just gonna sell it for parts I think. I have so much bad energy wrapped up in the bastard i'll never enjoy it again. It had two other hardware problems including having to fortify the ram card with duct tape and paper. (I refuse to actully pay someone to fix it propper. What, get a job? Whatever.) Now I think that all the problems are probably the same problem. But, whatever. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

narroc
04-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Whysman.
I don't have much confidance in ccleaner. I found that although I run WinXp and Firefox it came up with unknown Operating System and Netscape Navigator. If it can't get that right what sort of a program is it??

Budfred
04-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Whysman.
I don't have much confidance in ccleaner. I found that although I run WinXp and Firefox it came up with unknown Operating System and Netscape Navigator. If it can't get that right what sort of a program is it??
This comment doesn't seem to have anything to do with this thread... It also seems to miss the fact that many people have used CCleaner quite successfully and that identifying the OS is not what it is for... Is there some reason you suddenly felt the need to post in an unrelated thread??