PDA

View Full Version : Locked out of windows xp

DLeonR
03-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Can someone direct me to a thread with this topic? I have a friend just called me and she is locked out of windows xp. Someone probably changed the password or something. I have never encountered this before. If someone can help, it will greatly appriciated.
Problem, she enters her username and password and it comes up wrong. Please help.

PrntRhd
03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Does she have an Admin password that can be used to get in via SAFE mode?
Please see the steps in the sticky post re passwords.
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51222

DLeonR
03-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I did not ask her that. But what if she does not? These people are not very familiar with computers. They even have trouble creating a directory. When I can reach her on the phone I will have to help her step by step through the safe mode procedure.
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

HomeSA
03-17-2007, 04:37 PM
These people are not very familiar with computers.

PCGuide is very strict with password help. Google is your best bet.

With the statement you made above, I'll take a chance on password help and suggest to have her check and see if the Caps Lock is on.

Sylvander
03-17-2007, 06:09 PM
And if the password includes numbers she needs the "Numlock" on.

"Caps Lock" needs to be OFF.

HomeSA
03-17-2007, 07:41 PM
"Caps Lock" needs to be OFF.

Thanks for the good catch.

rond36
03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
To log on to the administrator account:

At the Welcome screen hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice.
In the log in box choose Administrator and enter the admin password that was chosen when Win XP was installed.

If she can log in to the Administrator account she needs to go to control panel and open "User Accounts" and change or remove the password for the account that is causing problems.

If it is a manufactured PC such as Dell, HP, or Sony... it may not have a hidden Administrator account, in that case she would need to contact tech support or maybe use the recovery CD to repair it.

Read this for more info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

DLeonR
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Sorry I did not get back to you guys on this. Her problem was password indeed, but it had to to with her verizon DSL setup. When she logs on verizon kicks in first for some reason, but that is the setup she has. Make a long story short, it is all good now. She had to call verizon and give setup a new password. It was not windows, she just did not explain to me correctly, but when I went to the house it was a different ballgame.
Thanks again for all the replies.