PDA

View Full Version : rebuild option

wombil
03-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Hello All,Sylvander has advised using the
noreformat,nondestructive total rebuild option to revitalise win.XP
I have followed the directions for making the slipstreamed XP disk and all goes well until step nine;
Run--c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update.exe/s:c:\xpsp2\root
I have also tried substituting 1386 for i386 but I get this message,
c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update.exe/s:c:\xpsp2\root is not accessible.
The filename,directory name or volumelabel syntax is incorrect.
Any clues as to where I'm going wrong here?

The good part is that I already have SP2 installed on the computer so I should be able to use the rebuild option with the standard xp home disk that I have.Is this correct?
Thanks Guys,
Wombil.

Sylvander
03-19-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm no expert on this, but it looks like you missed a space, so you seem [to the program] to be specifying that the whole thing is a file location, which makes no sense.

Perhaps it should be...

c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update.exe /s:c:\xpsp2\root

Ater you running update.exe from C: rather than the optical drive?
Hence c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update.exe

Paul Komski
03-19-2007, 08:44 AM
There should be a space but you can also use the integrate switch or to make life really simple use the autostreamer application (http://www.iol.ie/~krakowangus/bootupwininstall.htm).

so I should be able to use the rebuild option with the standard xp home disk
You can use the rebuild option with the latest SP (or none at all) but the eventual installation will depend on what was on the installation CD and not what was previously installed on the hard drive. If you had SP2 and the CD has no SPs the resulant wont have any SPs, which is one of the reasons for going the slipstreaming route.

wombil
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tips fellers,
Yes there could be a space after the"exe". hard to see in the instructions in Langa's Letter.Does the space break this sequence into two separate ones?
Yes I am running that instruction from C: as in the directions.
Thanks for the help,
Wombil.

Sylvander
03-20-2007, 03:25 AM
My imperfect understanding of command syntax...

Run is the command; should have a space after it to separate it from the next part which should be the Parameter.

c:\xpsp2\i386\update\update.exe is the parameter, which should have a space after it to separate it from the Switch.

/s: is the Switch, which is followed immediately [no space] by the Value.

c:\xpsp2\root is the Value.

wombil
03-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the explanation Sylvander.My understanding of syntax is,[was], less than limited,more like non existent but that clears things up a lot.Cheers,
wombil.

Sylvander
03-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I have this metaphorical image in mind of two one-eyed, one-legged people [it represents our level of knowledge and understanding] holding onto each other for support, and managing to get along quite well considering. :D

And nothing wrong with that I say. :)

Paul Komski [may good bliss him] is better off than most...
He has two eyes and two legs, and "he can see for miles and miles".

So it isn't always the blind leading the blind. :cool:

wombil
03-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Hey guys,still having trouble.I have gone the autostreamer way.It seems so simple and easy.Not so.
In the box where one enters the service pack file I have tried XPSP2.exe
and other variations of this and the file name for SP2 taken from Microsoft Download centre which is "WindowsXP-KB835935--SP2-ENU.exe"
I get this message;You have'nt selected a valid service pack file.If you want to skip this and just create a cd image click yes.Otherwise click no and specify a valid service pack file.
Don't want to take up all your time but it's starting to drive me nuts.Any ideas?

Paul Komski
03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
The MD5 of my own file is
59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7
*XPSP2.EXE
though its date is not identical to the one below

The MS Downdoad attributes appear to be

File Name: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
Version: SP2
Date Published: 8/10/2004
Language: English
Download Size: 266.0 MB

If your file comes nowhere close it must be corrupt. I can't find an MD5 published by Microsoft for their download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en)

Sylvander
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Can you spot the subtle difference between the filename you quoted and the filename Paul quoted?
i.e.
WindowsXP-KB835935[B]--SP2-ENU.exe [yours]
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe [Paul's]

Paul Komski
03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think the filename per se is that important - I always rename mine to something simple anyway (its just XPSP2.EXE as above). What's important is that the download is intact as evidenced by file size etc or better still a known good checksum value.

wombil
03-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Right,
I have got as far as burning a file "WINXPSP.iso" on a cd but it won't open.Seems I don't have a program to open it.
Gotta go to bed now anyway.
Thanks for all the help.

Paul Komski
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Read the Important Notes in the right panel on this web page (http://www.iol.ie/%7Ekrakowangus/bootupdiycds.htm). You must burn the image as an archive and not as a single data file depending on the way any particular burning software organises this.