PDA

View Full Version : saying invalid boot diskette

knicks
03-22-2007, 08:37 PM
when i power on my pc is says invalid boot diskette please insert boot diskette into A:

my problem is there is no disks in the a drive! also i even went into the bios and turned off my floppy drive. my pc is maij ga lot of noises could it be a hard drive failure?
its is a 99 gateway celeron 600 mhz processor with 192 mb of ram and running win xp. it was working fine for a good year and now i get this message plus the loud noises.

please help
its not even letting me load windows. i can only go into my bios thats it. i have tried chasnign a few things all to no avail

rio_bugarin
03-23-2007, 01:14 AM
seems like the hard drive is not being detected.

1. try changing the boot sequence to boot to c:

2. can the hard drive be detected in the bios? if not, disconnect then reconnect the cables. this often helps.

Paul Komski
03-23-2007, 03:46 AM
and turned off my floppy driveTurning off and disabling are not one and the same thing. You could also try detaching the cables from the floppy. Follow rio_bugarin's advice and see if you can detect the source of the noise. Most audible noises come from fans or hard drives. Noise in a PC, particularly a new noise, is never a good omen though a wire just touching say a heat sink fan can make a lot of noise with little real harm in the short term.

Sylvander
03-23-2007, 05:06 AM
My guess is that the loud noises are the BIOS accessing the FDD as it tries to boot a bootable floppy and rattling away as it fails to find one.
So why not give it a bootable floppy and see what happens?
Here's a good one...
How to make a free “Smart Boot Manager” bootable floppy
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41498
This makes it easier to boot a chosen drive [particularly the one holding a bootable optical disk].

But why is the BIOS insisting on booting a floppy rather than moving on to the next possible bootable drive? [See possible causes below]

Chaos in the CMOS settings? [Check them]
e.g.
IDE controller disabled?
HDD not [Auto] detected [as RIO said]?
Therefore...
New CMOS battery needed?

If you use the "Smart Boot Manager" program, that will confirm what the BIOS should be displaying on screen [are all the drives set to "Auto"?] regarding the detection of drives.

karthik
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
From my knowledge, take for instance the HP systems come with loaded Windows in them. There is HP Help center or some what in similar name, but the thing is that you can make the machine boot using HP support or boot manager to boot from a particular device irrespective of BIOS settings so that means you have to change the boot sequence even there to boot from a particular source.

Sylvander
03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
My PC is a Hewlett Packard, and it does indeed provide that if I hit a particular key [Esc I think] the BIOS will display a menu of drives to choose to boot.
This would over-ride the BIOS's boot menu.

But I prefer to use the "Smart Boot Manager" floppy to choose to boot an optical disk [or whatever] from among the detected drives listed.

And if I have my BIOS boot menu set as...
1. FDD.
2. CD-drive.
3 HDD.
[Actually I have HDD 2nd and CD 3rd]
Then provided there are no bootable disks in the FDD and CD-drive, the BIOS goes straight to the HDD to boot.

karthik
03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
When the system forces itself into the BIOS it does mean some change has taken place.

What were the last major change you made to the system ?

Paul Komski
03-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Both HPs and Dells (and presumably other makes) nearly always have a special <hot key> which allows one to choose a boot device without going near the BIOS setup. This is extemely useful for non-geeks to use instead of using third party apps or going into and changing the BIOS setup routines.

At the start of this thread there was a quote that "says invalid boot diskette". This message can appear for a couple of reasons. One is when a non-bootable diskette is in the FDD and the floppy is in the boot priority path. The other is when there is hardware corruption/failure that misguides and obscures the normal boot processes. It looks like the latter case in this situation - particularly when associated with noises emanating from somewhere. That somewhere is probably some faulty hardware or a changed boot order due to say a flat cmos battery.

karthik
03-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Remove the FDD and try whether you get the same error again.

knicks
03-25-2007, 03:07 PM
wow every single piece of advice each of you gave helped for this pc but also for another one of a similar problem. thank you all so much

ANOTHER QUICK QUESTION PLEASE...

if you buy ram of the same mhz speed and pc type and size as the ones in your pc already can anything wrong occur? i plan on buying ram and i kno the modules in my pc are 1 gb pc 5200 500 mhz i saved it in a text file but i recollect this was it. if i buy another 1 gb module with these specs nothing can go wrong right?

my pc is a brand new gateway with a core 2 duo processor and support of up to 8gb of ram.
thanks again in advance

Paul Komski
03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Check for cross-compatibility or RAM modules at somewhere like crucial (http://www.crucial.com).