PDA

View Full Version : can't load windows

vicki lynne
03-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I gotta way old ibm aptiva on my desk that has win 98 on it. When I try to boot windows I get a blue screen and it tells me "a device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading " What's this?

Sylvander
03-23-2007, 06:33 AM
See Error Message: VFAT Device Initialization Failed (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139063).

Certain programs on the Emergency Boot CD = EBCD (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41485) may straighten things [software] up for you. [Do you have one already?]

1. Win98/ME Registry tool

2. [B]MS Scandisk [scan & fix the file system on each of the various partitions to make sure all's well here]

3. The File Manager can be used to browse the folders/files on any chosen partition/drive [you can display 2 in left/right panes][to check the files are present] and manipulate those [delete, copy from one drive/partition to another, read contents etc].

vicki lynne
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Yep, I got me one . So I'll go through that list and be back.

vicki lynne
03-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah!! We fixed it. Me and my trusty EBCD. That things pretty neat. And a little help from microsoft. The Microsoft article told me what to look for and EBCD helped me put it back. What a team. Thanks everybody.:D

Sylvander
03-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Great! :D :cool:

I find using the EBCD a gradual process of discovery as I find out how to use yet another of its programs.

Could you explain in some detail [or even just broadly] the steps you completed to produce a fix?

edoy_1420
03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Ei maybe u can help me for finding gud decision on this matter.. Does SAS Drive compatible with PowerEdge 2800 Server? because when i check the specification of this server i found that it contains HDD Ultra320 SCSI? If i want to replace it by SAS Drive is it ok?

vicki lynne
03-24-2007, 06:27 AM
The first thing I did was read the microsoft article about the different causes of the vfat blue screen that I was getting. These included a missing ifshlp.sys file from windows, a mistake in my config.sys file, or a mistake in my msdos.sys file. I used the vulcan commander part of the ebcd to check all of these things and by process of elimination found that the ifshlp.sys was missing and the line "device=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys" was missing from my config.sys file. So I edited the config.sys file and put the missing line in. Then in the other column of the vulcan commander where it says whats on the cd, if you look in the bin file you find a copy of ifshlp.sys. I copied that to windows and rebooted. Ta-da !!! It worked and booted right up. And that's pretty much how I did it.:D
It really wasn't that hard at all. A lot easier than I thought it would be anyway.:cool:

Sylvander
03-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Please note that the "Volkov Commander" [on the 2nd menu] has no LFN capability and is an older version of the "File Manager" [on the 1st menu] that DOES have LFN capability.
Hence "File Manager" is better/newer than "Volkov Commander".

"It really wasn't that hard at all. A lot easier than I thought it would be anyway"
BRILLIANT! :cool:
See, the "File Manager"/"Volkov Commander" makes browsing drives/partitions and manipulating folders/files and editing text in files so much easier than DOS.
I guess you found that you can choose which drives/partitions to display in the left & right panes, eh?

vicki lynne
03-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not exactly sure what LFN capability is. It was all pretty much greek to me. But I guess I'm learning to speak the language :-) I have realized that dos s..... well, let's just say that it stinks. I'm still playing with that right and left pane stuff, but I was always told that if you quit learning someone needs to throw dirt in your face.:-D

classicsoftware
03-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Long File Names

Before Windows 95, DOS had a file naming convention called 8.3. The file name could be 8 characters long with . and three character extension. Windows 9X, 2000 and XP allow you have long file names. I am sure there is a limit, but for all intents and purposes you can name a file anything you want.

If your file name is Vickilynnes Computer Tips.doc will show as Vickil~1.doc in any program that does not support LFN.

vicki lynne
03-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Thank you very much. I appreciate the clarification. I've just about got my own little pc dictionary going on now. :-)

Sylvander
03-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I had THIS (http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1188975,00.html) on my desktop, gathered in an attempt to understand "Diskedit" on the EBCD, and data recovery, but it goes into LFN's in some detail.
Read it only so far as you find it interesting.

By-the-way..
I loved the quote "if you quit learning someone needs to throw dirt in your face". :)

That gave my chuckle-muscle the first use of the day. :D

vicki lynne
03-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm glad that I could be the one to start your smile around the world ! Mom always had something, shall we say intelligent, to say. L.O.L.