PDA

View Full Version : XP Hard drive does not boot in another system.

Dinosaur
03-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Our Bridge club computer died, but the Hard disk is okay. I checked the hard disk using it as an external disk via a USB port.

I put the hard disk in another system which was running XP. When I started the system, I got a screen giving me various startup options: Safe Mode, Normal startup, et cetera. There was a message saying that Windows did not start successfully due to a recent hardware or software change.

None of the startup options worked. All stopped before loading windows.

I can boot from an XP installation CD from a third system, but am hoping that the Bridge club can find the XP CD used to install on their hard disk. I could boot and use the Recovery Environment, but have never used it for a problem like this.

Does anyone here have suggestions for trouble shooting this problem?

Paul Komski
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Assuming the Bridge Club's hard drive really is intact you should be able to install it into a new computer. You will need a full Windows installation CD of the appropriate version, boot to it and use it to run a repair installation of the hard drive (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm).

Dinosaur
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Paul Komski: Thanx! That sounds like good advice. I will give it a try.

Sylvander
03-25-2007, 09:34 AM
A young dizzy blonde goes to her local garage mechanic and says...
"I've just bought my 1st car and it's very noisy and bumpy when I drive it, especially when I try to go above 30 mph."

So the mechanic says...
"Well, all your tyres are TOTALLY flat; you need to inflate them to the correct tyre pressure."

So she says...
"Thanx! That sounds like good advice. I will give it a try." :D