PDA

View Full Version : Self-mutilation with System Restore - Merged post about same issue...

Vallan
03-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi,
I'm new to XP (don't laugh) and I just installed Nero 7. I accidentally installed a task bar option, so I used System Resore, which I thought would bring me back to before the installation. (Okay, you can laugh). However, all the Nero files are still there, but there are no icons to reach them, and they don't show up in the programs list. Add/Remove doesn't see them either. I tried another resotre point, then I tried twice to undo the restorations - Agh! How do I fix this? (Ok, stop laughing now...)

Val

Vallan
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi,
I'm not that familiar with XP, but I've apparently misused system restore. I was installing Nero 7, and accidentally set it to put shortcuts etc. when I didnt' really want them. So I used system restore, which got rid of the shortcuts but not the program. (Didn't realize that....) Since I'd seen an error message for a billionth of a second, I tried it again. (Don't ask what the error was, it wasn't up long enough to tell). The system restored, but the shortcuts - all icons for the programs- were gone, but the program(s) is still there. Add/Delete can't see it, nor can All Programs. So I tried to undo my system restore (twice) but I'm still at the same point - I have installed programs that have no access short of going into the folders and trying to find the .exe file. How do I fix this? Did they get taken out of the registry? It's the Nero 7 Essentials, so there are six or so program folders. I just want to untangle it and reinstall. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Val

Paul Komski
03-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I would forget about system restore - for now anyway. It is in any case a very blunt and unreliable tool.

Have you just lost shortcuts for Nero or for other programs into the bargain?

If its just relating to Nero I would attempt to uninstall from Add/Remove programs, and then reinstall. Possibly you might need to reinstall, remove with add/remove and reinstall as second time.

Vallan
03-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Add/Remove programs can't see it - it's not on the list. I tried to just install it again, but it just hangs. I don't think it took anything else with it. This is very depressing - it's a new build that booted up without a hitch and was completely clean until I did this to it!! Where do I go from here?

Paul Komski
03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Try reinstalling is safe mode maybe. After that a repair or a clean reinstall may be the best way forward. If you do get round to a clean reinstall consider making an image of your partition so that you can restore that if needs be without even considering system restore.