PDA

View Full Version : Restoring XP w/o a disk.

evocare
03-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay, so my computer randomly crashes because of an error in Microsoft Windows. I've tried for a week or two to fix it and during the time I've backed up all of the things I need. So, after coming to the conclusion that maybe its just time for me to wipe my computer clean and enjoy my computer again I realized that I don't have an XP Boot Disk. I've looked at all these different posts on the internet on how to create your own boot disk and I'm not seeing what I need to be seeing. I've tried to follow tutorials but I end up getting lost half way through. I'm good with computers but not that good, ya know?

What I need to know is how hard would it be to get a disk? Why can't someone just copy their XP: Pro boot disk, zip it up, and then send it to me? Would it work like that? I need help though, so thanks for reading.

my awesome computer specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Intel Pent. III
647 MHz w/ 348 MB of RAM
(That's how I roll. :rolleyes:)

Fruss Tray Ted
03-25-2007, 11:57 AM
No piracy allowed here. And basically that's what you are asking for.

You need to contact who you bought it from if they will supply a disk, or you need to break down and buy one.

evocare
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Sorry there fella, didn't mean to offend anyone and I didn't know it was piracy. I didn't think it would be piracy seeing as how you can make your own, just thought it would be less time consuming if it could be done like that. Anyone have a suggestion on an easy guide to help me make one? My computer is basically home made so you know, can't really contact anyone for support except me.

Erik
03-25-2007, 12:29 PM
The problem is I doubt a computer of that vintage came with XP installed from the factory. Did you buy XP and then lose the CD? Do you still have your CD key? If so you can probably contact MS and get replacement media.

Jiggy
03-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Are you after the six boot floppys or cd-boot for XP ? If so try here http://www.bootdisk.com/ "Windows XP Fresh Install Bootdisk And Bootable CD".

If your after a copy of the WinXP cd then no, not on this forum.
As Fruss Tray Ted already said "You need to break down and buy one".

Fruss Tray Ted
03-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Then again, if the crashes are from malware, maybe you could post a HijackThis (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) log and we can assist you in cleaning up your pc.

You can also run Housecall but if you do, please provide what it finds in detail because we'll need to know all the installed problems to lend clues if there is something hidden deeper and whether we need to advise running more scans of different types from other companies.

Dinosaur
03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Are you asking about a 1.44MB bootable diskette? If so, you do not need one.

The XP CD is bootable. You might have to enter CMOS setup to make the first boot device a CD if it is not already set up that way.

evocare
03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
The computer originally had Windows 98 but my brother-in-law got me Windows XP through his work. So, I'm not looking for an install of XP just the boot disk that can help me wipe my computer without losing XP. I looked at Bootdisk.com earlier but got lost in which things I actually need to install. I'm pretty sure my computer can boot from a CD.

Paul Komski
03-25-2007, 01:44 PM
If you have a valid product key then it doesn't matter whether you use a the original disk or one that is borrowed from someone. If you don't have a valid product key - only then does piracy rear its head if you are reinstalling an OS onto the same hardware.

evocare
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
well, i do have a real xp key. its not stolen, its authentic. the only problem is no one has an xp disk around here. damn these backwoods i live in!

Fruss Tray Ted
03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Time to give your BIA another call to have him burn you a copy. As Paul said, as long as you use your own key, you're all set.

But you say 'wipe'. To us, that means erase all and start over. What you must want is to do a repair install which will preserve all the softs and documents but it will fix errors and usually rid you of malware. Note, I said 'usually'

Do you know what the error to Microsoft says? It could even be hardware problems for all we know. After all, you haven't given us much info to go on at all.

evocare
03-25-2007, 02:45 PM
what i want out of a bootdisk is to erase everything off of my computer except xp:pro. i just want to start over with a new computer. i haven't installed any new hardware in almost a year.

Fruss Tray Ted
03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Then wipe is a good way to call it. You are wanting a full reinstall. You'll need the cd