PDA

View Full Version : Problems running a repair on XP

stephenb1956
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Well good evening guys,
Tried to run a repair, booting from the XP disc and now windows will not start. The affected item is an older Compac, but it did have XP originally installed on it. It is just that it was having problems and I thought that running a repair would set it right. Well that was not a good thought.:eek: Should I just run a full install and live with the fact that all that I had on the computer is now lost or is there a different direction that I could go?? Open for suggestions!!

Fruss Tray Ted
03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
There's a whole lot of details you could provide that may lead to a whole lot of different choices for remedying your situation.

From a restore point to Data recovery and a full reinstall.

Considering it is a Comcrap, we'll need the full specs. They were notoriously famous for hidden partitions that contained the BIOS instructions and/or repair options.

Also a history of attempted fixes. Don't be shy, we've all blown something up a time or 'too'.. :o

stephenb1956
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
OK, it is a Compac 5400US. It is 8 to 10 years old and was probably a model on the way out the door when it was bought. Processor is a 1200, took the origanal drive (20g) and made it the E & F drive cause I installed a 40g and it became the C & D drive. Both are partition. What I did is I used the new copy of XP which I loaded on this computer and when it asked for the product key, I didn't even think about it and typed in the product key of the disk instead of the key for the computer. Now what it is doing is when it is booted up with the disk it goes through the screen and I ask to "repair" then it continues and comes to a "dos" screen asking me to enter a password. With no password to enter I hit the "enter" key and then it ask which "drive/window" program I want to start. I have selected both C and D and it just comes right back around to the same screen.
Now some history,, problems have been programs having problems (all Windows programs) shutting down and if you don't close them it will just hang till you do, so if you are shutting down the computer you have to sit there till the thing shuts down. Have not tried to do any restores cause I was not sure as to when the problems accoured. As I travel quite a bit I get home and am told that the computer has a problem. When I ask a few question about it typical responce is "I don't know!!", so this is where I'm at.
I have a fair amount of items on the computer that I would like to get but if not say la ve. Mama won't be happy but she will live.

Paul Komski
03-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Microsoft made this area really confusing but basically there are two possible repairs from an installation CD. A repair using the Recovery Console, which is what you attempted and a Repair Installation (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm), which is what you should attempt.

stephenb1956
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Well as thing went from bad to worse I finally removed the hard drives and moved them to an other computer and copied what I needed then cleared the hard drives. Moved them back to the Compaq reloaded Window XP and am back up and running. One small problem though, I have both drives back in the older comp but it is only seeing one. In the BIOS it sees both and even tested both. But through Windows it only sees the one. Did I miss something??

Hagar
04-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Check if you can see it in Disk Management. If it shows as unallocated it just needs to be initialized with a partition.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm