PDA

View Full Version : Win Me... Devilish... - Moved from After Hours...

SufferWell1396
03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I got on my computer this evening and i really felt compelled to post this here.

I got on my computer at maybe 10:00PM this evening, Windows Millennium is the primary OS.

Now i dont remember who said it, if it was mjc, FTT, Sylvander, or someone else, but someone once said to me on the forums
"Windows Millennium does 1 of 2 things."

1. Installs great! everything is good, and Windows Me outpreforms like it should.

or

2. Installs great! everything is good... for about 3 days... after that EVERYTHING goes Haywire... EVERYTHING

and appearently ive got number 2. becuase Windows Me has crashed 7 times since ive been on it, and i want to post this before it crashes again... Wow. 7 crashes in an hour an 14 mins... thats amazing...

Sylvander
03-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Wasn't me who said it. :)

Hope these will be useful:
Solving Problems in Windows Millennium Edition (Part 1 of 2) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312930/en-us)
Solving Problems in Windows Millennium Edition (Part 2 of 2) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312932/en-us)

At the very least, each time you switch off without properly shutting down Windows you should...
Immediately scan the Windows partition file system using [something like] MS Scandisk [the EBCD copy works well] and fix any problems found [lost file clusters and/or chains that could be causing the increasing tendency to crash].

Another VERY IMPORTANT thing you can do to prevent the gradual deterioration of the system software is...

1. Move all the data files off C:

2. Make image backups of your partitions [especially C:] when the software is working well [you missed the boat somewhat, but better late than never].

3. Whenever you suspect that some software deterioration has taken place [chaos has crept in], just restore a recent good image backup and the software will "jump back" to the way things were before the introduction of the latest little item of software chaos.

Oops, just noticed you posted this in the after hours club!

Paul Komski
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Millenium has usually had a bad press in geek circles. I have never had particular problems with it but have always run it on more than its recommended minima. I think that is a good principle for any Windows OS. Nor am I a gamer and it is apps like that which seem more prone to crash or blue screen. It's system restore is both rubbish and a bloat (it is always turned off by me) so imaging the system partition is a good move IMHO.

Fruss Tray Ted
03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
"Windows Millennium does 1 of 2 things."

1. Installs great! everything is good, and Windows Me outpreforms like it should.

or

2. Installs great! everything is good... for about 3 days... after that EVERYTHING goes Haywire... EVERYTHING

Well if it ain't Sylvander and it ain't me, well I don't want to point fingers but,,, Will the REAL author puhleeze stand up! :p

Paul,
You have a good point. Maybe it is that WinME has a propensity to 'cringe' under pressure. I also don't stress mine much at all and have more than the minimum needed to run it.

Now I'm not going to introduce Murphy's Law into this equation and say mine has been running flawlessly for x amount of days, I don't want to jinx it! ;) But it IS like a horse race though, I'm on the edge of my seat watching it for another boot, another day, another mile... :cool:

SufferWell1396
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Cant be what the system requirements are because this thing MORE than meets what its recommended requirements are.

COMPAQ DESKPRO SYSTEM SPECS:
933MHz PIII
512MB RAM
nVidia Vanta/Riva TNT2 GPU
WIN ME INSTALLED ON A 30 GIG PARTITION

Win Me constantly gives me the "THE SYSTEM IS DANGERIOUSLY LOW ON SYSTEM RESOURCES! DO YOU WANT TO END THE FOLLOWING APPLICATION?:*insert app here*" and its frozen from there on. Ive basically given it the whole C: drive to eat up for VM, and the C drive is a 60 gig partition!:eek:

Ive tried letting Windows manage my VM, letting it eat the whole drive, and turning it off all together. It seems to be pretty stable today though.

Paul Komski
03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
THE SYSTEM IS DANGERIOUSLY LOW ON SYSTEM RESOURCES
Resources and memory are two different things. Some programs, particulary malconfigured programs, can eat up system resources. This is usually a fault of the application and not of windows.

See:-

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/resource.php

SufferWell1396
03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
All i run is AIM, Firefox, and WMP9. Could these be causing it?

Sylvander
03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Perhaps you need to run "MemMaker.exe" seen HERE (http://www.devedia.com/dosghost/dos/twks_w31.htm#memory).
What this does is to make arrangements for best use of DOS memory [Lower Memory area etc].

I've used it in the past with Win95 and possibly Win98.
I still have the DOS BOOT DISK including MEMMAKER.EXE sitting to hand.
When upgrading Windows, the settings thus placed in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files were migrated into the registry.