PDA

View Full Version : No image preview in W98se

TimPullin
03-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi gang.
You know, in W98 when you set the folder view to "web style" and single click on an image file a little preview of the image appears at the left hand side of the screen? My computer did this perfectly normally yesterday and now it doesn't, at least not for .jpgs.(Most of my image files)
The preview works fine for .bmp and .jpeg images. What have I done!! I now have to open each file to see what it is.
It's driving me nuts!!

Background to this.....I installed Corel draw 6.0 but didn't get on with it, so uninstalled it. Then the computer wasn't sure how to open image files, so I had to select "Paint" from the "open with" menu. The preview thing hasn't worked since. It's probably something ridiculously simple, and my brain is obviously too highly tuned.......................... :rolleyes: :o
Thanks
Tim

SufferWell1396
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Go to the picture file, right click, go to Open With..., and open it with Microsoft Picture Preview or whatever its called

TimPullin
03-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Thanks SufferWell1396
Will that cure the problem permenantly, or do I have to do this every time?

TimPullin
03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I tried this today but couldn't find anything remotely like that on the "open with" dropdown menu. There is a microsoft previewer, which I have turned on, but I still have to double click on the file icon to view it so might as well not bother using it.
As I said the preview function works perfectly with .bmp images. Could the problem lie somewhere with filetypes/allocations?

I have clicked view/folder types/file allocation(or something, the right hand tab anyway*). When I double click the icons associated with opening the appropriate files,the "enable preview" box is ticked.

Interestingly when I single click on some files the grey "move sideways" bar appears at the bottom of where one would expect to see the previewed image, but still no actual preview image for .jpg
I tried to get a screenshot but that wouldn't work either!!

*The PC concerned is at a remote site and does not have internet access.

Thanks
Tim

Sylvander
03-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Next time you Startup the problem PC...
Hit F8, go to the Startup Menu...
Choose "Command Prompt Only"...
At the C:\> prompt enter the command...

C:\>scanreg /restore [there's a space after g and before / ]

When Scanreg runs choose to restore the backup of the configuration files automatically made at the 1st boot after midnight on the day the problem was introduced.
This configuration backup doesn't include the problem, so should take your PC back to the way things were when all was well.

For the future...
Begin investigating how to make [and restore] image backups of the contents of the various partitions using a program that works outside of Windows and is loaded from a bootable floppy or optical disk.
I use "Image for DOS" [my favourite], or "Acronis True Image", or "BootIT NG" and save the images to either an internal partition or a HDD in a USB2 external enclosure.

Once you are making image backups [when all's well] as you move forward from day to day...
If you so much as suspect that all is not as it should be...
Just restore your latest image and the problem [if it's caused by software] will be GONE.

TimPullin
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.