PDA

View Full Version : system boot failure

sandeep_sinha
03-28-2007, 04:34 AM
I have XP home edition , and win 98 on my pc
When i boot the system, after the screen of selecting the OS the system hangs without loading any of the OS.
This problem occurs with both the OS
I have formatted the system but it still persists.

Can any one help me fix the problem?

Paul Komski
03-28-2007, 05:44 AM
Try booting in Safe Mode - though if both OSes are affected it sounds more like a hardware problem.

You could maybe test the Hard Drive with its maker's diagnostics on a floppy or CD.

After formatting the system did you reinstall both Win98 and WinXP?

sandeep_sinha
03-29-2007, 01:45 AM
yes i reinstalled only win XP , it worked for the first time then when i restarted the system it again hang at the same place......

Paul Komski
03-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Does it open in safe mode (F8 during startup)?

Have you tested the hard drive?

Did you install any drivers other than those that setup installed for you?

Have you checked the hardware against the WinXP compatibility list (though if Win98 also problematic this would seem unlikely cause)?

sandeep_sinha
03-29-2007, 06:35 AM
At the time of installing it opens completely and runs perfectly once it is restarted then it doesn't open, not in safe mode even.

I Have 4 partitions and in C i had Win98 and in D I had winXp. I had backed up my data in E drive and F was just having other files.

today morning when i formatted the machine I could access all the drives.
then i restarted again and the machine didn't start after the same point .

i didnt install any other drivers...

and as i was using the machine for the last 1 yr with Win Xp hence the compatibility issue can be ruled out.

if you think this to be a hardware problem then please tell me which hard ware it is..........

Paul Komski
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Have you tested the hard drive?

Whyzman
03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Harddrives: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29081

sandeep_sinha
03-30-2007, 12:17 AM
how do i test that????????

Whyzman
03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Instructions are given on the website of your harddrive manufacturer. If you have a floppy drive you can create a floppy disk... If you do not have a floppy drive the other option is to burn the diagnostics to a CD and change the boot order in the BIOS/setup to boot first from the CD drive...

sandeep_sinha
04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I have change my hard drive and still facing same problem. Even changed the ram and yet don't seem to find a solution.

Whyzman
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
After changing the harddrive, are you only loading one OS? If so, I would suggest only XP for now. Upon reboot after loading, if it freezes up again, I would try Paul's solution of attempting to boot into SAFEMODE...

sandeep_sinha
04-09-2007, 12:45 AM
yes after changing the hard disk i have loaded only xp but it didn't work then i tried server 2003 same problem persisted .
then i removed all the pci cards and tried loading but still same problem turned up.
i have tried booting in safe mode but then also the pc hanged .

what do i do now?

Whyzman
04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Do you have a floppy drive? If so, I would suggest running Memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ This loads before windows gets into the picture...it is self booting...

If you do not have a floppy drive you can also burn a bootable CD. However, you would have to change the boot order in the BIOS..

By the way, are you able to get into the setup/BIOS by tapping the delete key after power up??

sandeep_sinha
04-09-2007, 04:40 AM
yes i can get into the BIOS .

what is memtest86 ?

i would like to tell you that i have changed my ram too.

Paul Komski
04-09-2007, 06:56 AM
If the system freezes after a cold boot it is worth pressing the reset button and see if it will complete after a warm reboot. If that sorts the problem then there is probably a BIOS setting (such as PnP OS or update ESCD) that needs tweaking. No harm replacing the CMOS battery either. It can also sometimes make a difference to actually detach the mains electricity supply to the PC's PSU between reboots.

memtest is a memory testing utility