PDA

View Full Version : win2k and backups using cdrw

gracious
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I have been all over the net looking for any help for this issue. At work I am using Win2k and also QuickBooks pro. When I tell quick books to backup via the CDRW drive, I get "insert disc" although there is a disc already loaded.

While the blank disc is still in the drive, I go to my computer and click on the drive, it says "insert disc".

I can save the backup to my desktop and then write to the disc via nero but it takes forever. After the burn, When I try to read the disc, it says "insert disc".

One website said that Win2k does not allow backups to the cd/dvd r-rw media is this true?

I have been sucessfully saving to a USB flash drive but it is a pain as I have to crawl under my desk to access the USB. My poor back. Thought it would be easier to save to a CDRW.

I am not sure if I am suppose to format the discs first with a packet writing software or if Nero will format for me?

Am I missing something here?

Please advise.
Thanks so much!

Erik
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
No native support for CD writing in W2K. You should be able to create a backup file and then burn in Nero just fine if your burner and everything is working properly.

Or you could get a USB extension cable, connect it to the PC once and leave the other end on your desk. Now you can always plug in any USB devices easily.

gracious
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
what a drag. I do have an extension cable but it isn't quite long enough...I am such a complainer ain't I? LOL. Let me ask you this. After I burn the backup from my desktop to the disc, should I be able to read the disc afterwards? Should I be able to click on the drive and have it show me what is on the disc? what does it mean if I can't read the disc?

Fruss Tray Ted
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
QuickBook's website (http://www.quickbooks.com/Helpcenter/DoSearch.aspx?kbID=1001197) apparently mentions cd's and cd-rw's as possible locations for backup files.

I would try formatting your disks with NERO to see if it will help. If not, i'm thinking your burner is weak if the other method is unreadable. Also, possibly the order in which the softwares were installed may have a recognition problem such as QB before Nero may leave QB unable to recognize Nero's presence. Also, it is possible QB is trying to burn to a cd-rom instead of a burner if you have 2 opticals oin that pc. Be sure it is taking the right path.

But roam about the Inuit site a bit, you may find something else that will help if you think I'm full of hot air... ;)

Sylvander
03-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Could you explain in more detail about this QuickBooks Pro backup?

You should certainly be able to burn files to a CD-RW disk in Win2000, but you'd need a "Packet Writing" program installed so you can use a CD-RW disk like a giant floppy.
e.g. I'm using "HP DLA" to do that at the moment, and on Win98SE I used "DirectCD".

To use a "Packet Writing" program you'd need to format the blank CD-RW disk [using the program] before you could write files to it.

But instead of doing that I recommend you use the backup method I began using just recently as follows....
1. Moved ALL data file off C: to make C: as small as possible.

2. Made a small dedicated 1 GB D: partition [500 MB used] to which I moved all personal data files such as...
a. My Documents.
b. Desktop folder.
c. Address Book.
d. Outlook Express emails.
e. IE Favourites & Temporary Internet Files.
f. Firefox profile.
g. You could save any files you like, to either "My Documents" or a folder of your making in any location you choose on D: and a 2nd copy of these [and all the others] would be saved to the Flash drive by "synchronising".

3. Leave your "Flash Drive" permanently connected to a USB socket [I do].

a. Use the FREE version of "SyncBack" to "synchronise" [or "backup"] the files on D: [the "source"] to a "destination" on your USB "Flash Drive" [mine is a 1 GB H: drive].
b. By doing this you have a 2nd copy of all the files on D: and since it only takes about 5 min to synchronise, it can be done frequently [every day or even more frequently], and so the copies are right up-to-date.
c. When you synchronise a list of "differences" is displayed, so you can see if any files have been created, or updated, or eliminated.
d. You can configure the program to respond to certain "differences" in certain ways.
e.g.
e. New files created on the source would be copied to the destination.
f. When files exist at both locations but have been updated on the source, the latest version would overwrite the older version.
g. When an existing file is deleted from the source, the program could be told to do nothing, and you could manually mark all such listed differences to delete the copies at the destination.
h. You can over-ride any of these responses manually.

5. Hence, you ALWAYS have 2nd copies of all your important personal data files, and since they are on a flash drive they could be taken from PC to PC and used there.

Paul Komski
03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
A 10ft A-to-A or 15 ft A-to-B cable (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_cables.html) should surely be long enough!

I am not sure if I am suppose to format the discs first with a packet writing softwareIf your burner has Mount Rainier support Nero can do the formatting on the fly - otherwise you must complete the formatting as a whole complete manouevre before you can use the CDRWs for Nero's Packet Writing component, InCD. Some software can use CDR for packet-writing but Nero must have CDRW disks. Since your app obviously just needs a file system accessed by a drive letter to save-to you must use packet-writing formatted CDs if you want to use CDs as the default/primary backup location. Flash memory is so much better IMHO and the prices for even 2 or 4GB have become very affordable. I no longer install packet writing at all.

gracious
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Sylvander, that is amazing but I really don't want to spend that much time and effort to back up QB's, I do bookkeeping for 3 companies and don't have alot of time. My USB plug is finicky, I have to sort of use the front of my shoe to kind of hold up the flash drive in order for my puter to see it, I don't know if the USB has been bent? Anywho.... I am confused..so are you saying that Win2k will allow you to backup via CDRW? I thought that it was not part of its programming.:confused:
In QB's you click on 'backup' and a menu pops up where you can name the backup file and choose the backup destination. When using the USB I would choose E:, then 'ok' and it would back up and then I would get a "backup complete" message.
When I tell it to go to D:, I get, "please insert disc". When I go to my computer and access D:, it says "please insert disc into drive D:"

So do you think I need a different program than Nero. I really just want to back it up and continue working. I know that eventually I am going to be upgrading my computer, the workstation computer and my boss's computer with more memory and possibly a processor update so that we can load WinXP Pro because the update of QB's does not support Win2k and then I know I will not be having this issue but for right now I am where I am.

Is there a free packet writing software that I could use?
Thanks for all of your help!

Fruss Tray Ted
03-29-2007, 02:04 PM
so are you saying that Win2k will allow you to backup via CDRW?

I'm not typing transparently am I? :confused: I thought I already answered that question. Syl did too.

When you install NERO there is two separate installs. One for buning cd's and dvd's like data and music. The second install is NERO's 'IN-CD'. This is the one for using cd-rw's. Without that installed proper, you will get the error you posted because you have nothing installed to recognize it.

Has this worked in the past on this pc?

I thought that it was not part of its programming.

What Eric originally stated was that there is no in-built burner program in Windows 2K. You need to install burning software ina addition to the operating system. In XP you do not. In Knoppix you do not. In ME and 98 you do. etc...

Sylvander
03-29-2007, 03:33 PM
"In QB's you click on 'backup' and a menu pops up where you can name the backup file and choose the backup destination"
Is this the only copy of the file or is it a 2nd [backup] copy additional to an original working copy?
Calling it a "backup" is strange if it's the only copy.
And having the only copy [or even a backup copy] on a CD-RW disk is not so smart, because it's the most risky of all the storage media I use.
I have had at least one case of a CD-RW becoming unreadable, and being forced to "recover" the info/files using IsoBuster (http://www.smart-projects.net/).
Have it ready because you'll probably need it sooner or later.

""please insert disc into drive D:""
Try a drag n' drop or cut n' paste of a file to a CD-RW that has been formatted using your packet-writing program.
You should then be able to do with that disk what you can do with a floppy.
e.g. Regarding folders/files: make new, delete, edit, move, read, etc.

"what does it mean if I can't read the disc?"
That nothing was successfully written to the disk?
Which program did you use to burn the info?
If a packet writing prog, you need to format the disk first; if Nero data burning, no formatting needed, but did you do it right?
If saving only one file at a time you'd need to use packet writing, but that's most unsatisfactory, because each write has overhead [uses disk space in addition to the file space used].
And eventually you run out of space in the file index at the start of the CD, perhaps long before the disk is full.

"it says "please insert disc into drive D:""
This is because the CD-RW is unformatted, so QB sees it as having no usable space on it.
If you saved the file to the HDD [or the Flash Drive], then Nero could be used to burn that [and any other files] to the CD-RW disk.

Paul Komski
03-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Is there a free packet writing software that I could use?

Apart from Linux (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Writing_on_CD-RW) there is AFAIK no free packet-writing software - though many new CD/DVD burners come bundled with all the necessary software.

gracious
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
But roam about the Inuit site a bit, you may find something else that will help if you think I'm full of hot air...
Why would I think that?:confused:

I'm not typing transparently am I? I thought I already answered that question. Syl did too.

Yes I see that, so sorry, I was just confused as to what Erik had posted.

No native support for CD writing in W2K. You should be able to create a backup file and then burn in Nero just fine if your burner and everything is working properly.

Paul, I was able to backup to my desktop and in Nero was able to burn the backup onto the disc using the "make data disc". When I tried to read the disc, I got the "Please Insert Disc"

The Nero that I am using came with the burner. I do not see an "IN-CD". I backup each company every 3 days to the flash drive. When you back up QB's it is from the working file, I wouldn't know how else to do it.
I take the backup with me when I leave the office. It is so you can restore back to a point if something happens to the main working file. We also back up our mortgage software with a flash drive, primarily the database. I will continue to back up to the flash drive and when I have time will see if I can find the Nero disc to see if perhaps the "IN-CD" was not installed. Hopefully I can get the owner to agree to allow me to upgrade the puters so that we can load XP.... I am having difficulty with the computer store that initially sold the owner these puters. I have been trying to get them to give me the specs on the mobos so I can see what I can and cannot upgrade. On mine I just need to upgrade the ram, on the workstation it is running 1.6g cpu and 256 ram and would definitely like to upgrade the cpu and ram. I can see that the consensus is to not use the packet writing/cdrw's so I will stick with the flash drive and get a new cable, perhaps one long enough to use the USB on the back of the puter so that I don't have to use my toe :D

I, as always appreciate all of your help and wisdom. :)

Paul Komski
03-31-2007, 05:56 AM
I have been trying to get them to give me the specs on the mobos so I can see what I can and cannot upgrade.

One can usually identify the mobo from its BIOS string (http://www.motherboards.org/articles/tech-planations/13_1.html).

You could try the Nero FTP site and try the 10 MB InCD download InCD-4.3.23.2.exe from ftp://ftp.us.nero.com and it should work OK, I think, as long as you already have Nero installed.

gracious
03-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey I forgot about using the bios string, great idea! I will give it a whirl and hope it is one that is identifiable. I will let you know if I can download the In-Cd as well.
Thanks so much Paul!!:)