PDA

View Full Version : XP Multiple Users

zbo2408
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a pc running XP MCE 2005. With 2 separate user desktops. Some things I want shared like the My pictures folder and when some programs are installed I want it available to both users. But I like Mozilla and IE 7 on my desktop but the other user wants the older version of IE. When I put IE 7 on mine it goes on the other one too. When I tell Media Center to record a certain program every time it is on. I do not want it to miss the recording because the pc was on the other desktop not mine. Is there any way to differentiate between what programs are available to each individual desktop users? Right now the immediate concerns are, I want IE 7 on my desktop and the older version on the other.

Paul Komski
03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Have a look at Using IE6 and IE7 together (http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_explorer_ie7_tips1188.html) and if you cant get it to work you may want to setup a dual boot to a parallel installation not running IE7.

If you want to share the same My Picures Folder then whichever user is logged-on can change their registry settings to point to the other My Pictures folder - or anywhere else if that takes your fancy.

Dont mess with the registry unless you are quite sure about what you are doing. There are two keys that have (or should hav) a My Pictures value. That value in both the following keys should be edited to be path to the folder you actually want to become the default My Picures folder.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

zbo2408
03-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Great! Thanks to the link for running IE 7 with the standalone IE6! But the rest of what you were saying was over my head.

Paul Komski
03-29-2007, 05:49 AM
The registry editor can be opened by entering regedit into the Run Box.

http://i13.tinypic.com/4g6xt8j.png

Navigate to the appropriate Key Value in the Left Pane. You can then modify the "My Pictures" String Value from the Right Pane.

The current user in the attached pic is Bob. The path to Bob's designated "My Pictures" folder is shown as C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\My Pictures. This could also be written (and usually is under the User Shell Folders Key) as %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures, where %USERPROFILE%\ represents the current user's profile location. NOTE that backslashes are used.

The string value for the My Picture's Key Value in both the Shell Folders and the User Shell Folders keys must match each other.

If you were going to use Bob's My Pictures folder by another user you would need to log on as the other user and open regedit and modify the other users name to Bob in the Shell Folders key and have an identical string of text in the User Shell Folders key.

The registry editor is an extremely powerful tool but as long as you only change the values of those two keys the results would not be disastrous as all that would happen is the pointer to the current My Pictures folder would be wrong. The underlying folder doesn't get touched and if you need to move files from the original to the new location they must be copied manually.

Backup the registry first if you have any qualms: How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756)

Sylvander
03-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't it be easier/simpler/safer to install/use Tweak UI (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) to change the location of the "My Pictures" folder?

This does, from outside of regedit, the changes that Paul has shown above.

Images Below
1. Click on the "Tweak UI" icon in Control Panel after program installation.

2. Click on the "My Computer" tab.

3. Click for the drop-down menu.

4. Click "My Pictures".

5. Click "Change Location".

zbo2408
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow I always considered my self fairly proficient with computers and having a good understanding of windows. But right now this isn't soundin to simple to me. Maybe its the fever. Thanks for the replies.

Paul Komski
04-06-2007, 04:53 AM
zbo2408 perhaps it does look complicated but if you want anything specific explained do just ask.

Erik
04-06-2007, 08:00 AM
The My Pictures (or whatever other folder really) is simple enough. Just install Tweak UI and use it to change the location used. Point it to the same folder for both users, it is pretty simple really much like saving a file.

Using different versions of IE is more complicated though.

Paul Komski
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
or whatever other folder reallyMost of these system folders can be moved with TweakUI as Sylvander already indicated or even more simply by RightDragging the whole folder and moving it to its new location; there are exceptions however, like the cookies folder, for which a registry tweak is usually needed.