PDA

View Full Version : Why did I delete that ATAPI file?

Yardsale
03-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Why did I delete that ATAPI file? Because I apparently know nothing about computers. Don't ask me why, just help me recover from this bonehead maneuver, if it can be done.

My initial blue screen error message was "The device, \device\Ide\IdeportŘ, did not respond within the timeout period" Somewhere in that message I also read "source ATAPI" I didn't write everything down.

I got back in with Safe Mode and rummaged around and ended up, for some unknown reason, deciding that deleting the windows/system32/drivers/atapi file would be a good idea. Wrong.

Windows XP flashes on the screen for a brief second and then gives me another blue screen message that says, "You're an idiot. Stick to your day job."

Is there anything I can do??:confused:

Sylvander
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
1. If you really only deleted it, then it will be sitting happily in the Recycle Bin.

2. Are you still able to get into safe mode?
If so, go the the Recycle Bin and "restore" that file [atapi.sys].

3. If unable to get into Windows Safe Mode...
a. Make a FREE bootable Emergency Boot CD = EBCD (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41485) and run the "Un-Erase" program on the 2nd menu [it doesn't un-erase, it un-deletes].
I know it works well with file systems on FAT32 partitions, not sure about NTFS, but worth a try if NTFS. [Which file systems on your partitions?]
The program will display all the files marked as deleted [and therefore unseen by Windows Explorer], and show whether they are fully able to be undeleted.
If part or all of the file has been overwritten since deletion, it will be shown as either doubtful or unable to be recovered.

Other possibilities depend upon whether your Windows' partition's file system is FAT32 or NTFS.

Fred_Flintstone
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM
If you run XP SP2 there should be a copy of this file in:

C:\windows\I386\SP2.CAB

Extract it to your system32\Drivers folder..worth a try..;)

Edit: Thats if you can boot to safe of course..else you will need a boot disc like Sylvander suggested to copy the file over!