PDA

View Full Version : Two Partitions back too one

kfh
04-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

What is the easiest way to put my drive back to one partition, I think I've got PM 6 some where if that will do it.

OS Win XP Pro SP2.

Thanks,
kfh.

Whyzman
04-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I've used this successfully...Paul Komski highly recommends it! ;)

http://www.iol.ie/~krakowangus/bing.htm

Sylvander
04-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Seems like a regressive step. :(

To me progress is about learning to make and use multiple partitions and moving the data files off the Windows partition [C:] to make it as small as possible. :)

kfh
04-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi Whyzman,

Thanks for the link.

kfh.

kfh
04-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Hi Sylvander,

Some one mentioned this in another thread of mine a while back, I've got the same OS on both partitions not sure of the set up for one OS on two partitions, so I thought it would be easier to have just one partition.

thanks,
kfh.

Sylvander
04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Ah, now that illustrates that one should always tell the WHOLE story, because this appears to make it a whole different ball game.

Do you have two partitions [C: & D:?], with an installation of Windows [XP Pro SP2] on C: and another separate installation of Windows [XP Pro SP2] on D:?

kfh
04-02-2007, 06:53 AM
'Do you have two partitions [C: & D:?], with an installation of Windows [XP Pro SP2] on C: and another separate installation of Windows [XP Pro SP2] on D'

Yes I do.

Sylvander
04-02-2007, 07:19 AM
a. And at Startup is a menu presented with the opportunity to boot to either of these?

b. And are both installations of Windows equally acceptable to you?
i.e Would it be ok to get rid of the Windows on D: [uninstall it] and keep the Windows on C:?

c. Where are all your data files?

kfh
04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
A. yes there are two options here.
B. Both accessible.
C. Data on both.

I'm not worried what is on D so yes it can be deleted if I knew how.

Thanks,

kfh.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
* Is this all on one hard drive or two?

# Was this done accidentally during a restore which may have caused 2 installs on one partition?

The info in all posts above is important. The proper fix varies with each detail.

But I agree, partitions are like heads. The more the merrier (http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/C/C7096.jpg)...

kfh
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
One Harddrive, partitioned about 4 years ago.

Thanks

Fruss Tray Ted
04-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Just wondering why you want to remove one partition? Answer optional ;)

If you insist, I think you should delete or wipe the second installation prior to removing the 'wall' with BING, otherwise it would get confusing as to which is which when booted up to two entire sets of files.

JMHO to avert possible confusion.

Paul Komski
04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
You can just format the second partition from My Computer to get rid of its contents.

Then delete the relevant line from boot.ini to get rid of the dual boot menu (check which line you need to delete by trying to boot to both installations from the boot menu first)

Leave it that way if you want to keep the separate data partition or else use BiNG or PM or GParted/QParted to delete the second partition and to then resize the only remaining partition to occupy all of the drive.

PS its a good idea to run chkdsk before such manouevres and to backup any important data prior to any repartitioning tasks are performed.

johnny_quest
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
yeah be sure to backup... ive been burned by PM a few times.

kfh
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi All,

Once again thanks for all your help, the system is now running like a nine bob watch. Re:- BING thats a serious bit of software even an old fart like me can use it, :) never did like PM.

Cheers,
kfh.

Whyzman
04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Re:- BING thats a serious bit of software even an old fart like me can use it, :) I agree, BING is pretty sweet...even for us old farts! :D