PDA

View Full Version : computer to computer communication

tommy
04-04-2007, 04:42 AM
I soon will be in the process of moving to a new computer. My current (OLD) comp runs WIN95. The NEW one will have WIN XP Pro.

To hopefully simplify the transition, I am thinking of setting up NEW initially for just high speed internet access, including firewall, AV etc., but leaving legacy applications on OLD for the time being; to be brought over at my leisure.

My question is -- is there some SIMPLE way to transfer files from new to old, other than floppies. Seems to me, from my memory, there is a way to use a serial cable to do it.

Your suggestions please.

PS. OLD does not have USB ports, just serial and parallel.

Hagar
04-04-2007, 05:15 AM
You can use parallell or serial cable. It is normally called a LapLink cable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LapLink_cable
There are many programs that can use this cable, for example Total Commander. http://www.ghisler.com/featurel.htm

Paul Komski
04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Setting-up a DCC can be tricky enough at times. Bear in mind that you could simply attach the Win95's hard drive as a slave in the new pc and access its files that way. You could also take out the drive and attach it externally to the WinXP PC in a USB enclosure or with an inexpensive USB to IDE cable.

Such methods can often be the quickest in the long run.

What internet access is on the Win95 PC and does it have a NIC? since uploading files or sending them to yourself attached to emails could be another way without installing any new hardware or software.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
What happened to good old cd's? Burn some cd-r's
With a Windows 95 pc, chances are the hard drive is barely any larger than one cd :eek: Up to what, 2-3 gig?

tommy
04-05-2007, 06:33 AM
What internet access is on the Win95 PC and does it have a NIC? since uploading files or sending them to yourself attached to emails could be another way without installing any new hardware or software.

WIN95 PC is dial-up, and no NIC

tommy
04-05-2007, 06:38 AM
What happened to good old cd's? Burn some cd-r's
With a Windows 95 pc, chances are the hard drive is barely any larger than one cd :eek: Up to what, 2-3 gig?

CD drive on WIN95 is out of comission. As I said, it is OLD, and on it's last legs.

tommy
04-09-2007, 03:12 AM
You can use parallell or serial cable. It is normally called a LapLink cable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LapLink_cable
There are many programs that can use this cable, for example Total Commander. http://www.ghisler.com/featurel.htm

Thanks, that's what I had in mind.

Regarding Total Commander - their web site says
"Parallel port transfer function (direct cable connection), works between Win95/98/NT/2000/3.1 and DOS!"

I want to do it between WIN95 and XP PRO. Should that work?

Hagar
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I have very little experience with direct cable myself, but I cannot imagine that it should not work on XP.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
What, and how much info do you need to transfer?

Emails? Shortcuts? Documents? Sizes of?

Paul K's suggestion is quick and easy if the files are not few and small enough to fit on floppies. Then again, many newer pc's have no floppy drive either.

I'd do the 'hard drive as slave' route and skip purchasing a one-time use cable. By the time you have the cable, you could be done the transfer and the original hard drive could be back in the 95 pc as well.

Paul Komski
04-10-2007, 05:08 AM
I'd actually still recommend an adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156101) to keep things as SIMPLE as possible - as requested. Can't take any longer to obtain than a laplink cable and in my experience using direct cable connection has never been straightforward.

Slaving is still a good choice of course and (also of course) we can give advice on how to do this if that seems too daunting for a n00b.

tommy
04-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I'd actually still recommend an adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156101) to keep things as SIMPLE as possible - as requested. Can't take any longer to obtain than a laplink cable and in my experience using direct cable connection has never been straightforward.

Paul, thanks for the idea. I looked at the link but I'm not sure I understand how the adapter is connected.

The reason I don't want to slave is the same reason that I don't want to just move the old legacy applications to the new computer. And, that reason is that several go back to DOS days. Although they run well under WIN95B, I'm not sure they will run under XP and I may have to resort to regularly running them on the old computer, hence the possible need for simple connectivity to transfer newly downloaded online data from the new to the old for processing. Generally fairly small data files: several KB or less and transferring via a floppy is OK for those smaller ones but I want to cover all bases for the possible event that I will need to transfer larger files one direction or the other . They are useful (financial) applications which, in the long run, I will probably have to replace if they don't run on XP. For example, several are written using QUICKBASIC 4.5.

Paul Komski
04-11-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure they will run under XP. There should be no problem whatsoever with an older hard drive. Using a new drive on an old mobo is a different kettle of fish.

I'm not sure I understand how the adapter is connected One end attaches to the 40 pin data socket on the drive and the other end to a USB port on the PC. The drive also needs a power supply from a 4-pin molex connector - and that should be on the power adapter needed for a 3.5" desktop drive; laptop drives are smaller usually 2.5", have 44+ pin sockets and don't usually need any accessory power getting enough from the USB itself.

I'm not sure they will run under XP and I may have to resort to regularly running them on the old computer,
They probably will but might need to be first reinstalled. Dont forget that you can often run programs from customised shortcuts using compatibility modes for earlier OSes and run older OSes in a Virtual PC (free now from Microsoft) running on the XP desktop.

Suggest make an image file of the whole drive after attaching it but before changing anything on the drive. That way you can experiment and then put the drive back the way it was before it was slaved at all. You could use BiNG or its sister application ImageForWindows which would do this from within WinXP.