PDA

View Full Version : Major problem

tomijon
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi.
My pc suddenly restarted itself a couple of times, and then wouldnt re-boot.
After a while it restarted but closed down again whilst I was trying to run a spyware prog (spybot) I managed to get it up and running again and decided to make a backup of my hdd etc, but it closed down halfway through. I now have it running but I can`t open any of my programme files, I get a windows
popup asking what programme to use to open it?
I have tried to replace any files that where being transfered when it closed down, but again it says it can`t find the backup file.
I have tried to re-install win xp but that also dosn`t respond.
The only changes I have made to my pc recently is to add a new memory stick ( sadly el cheapo).
Thank`s for any help.
Tom.
System = AMD Athlon 2600, 700+ddr,win xp pro.

Quantax
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Perhaps that new memory stick is incompatible with an existing one you have?

Remove the prior one, see if the new one itself gets things working OK. That would then indicate this incompatibility issue.

tomijon
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I reverted back to the original memory sticks 256+128 ddr Kingston. The system has been stable for a couple of hours now but, I can`t get most of my programmes to open. The accsessories folder dosnt have anything in it except hyperlink file, so I cant even get to system restore. Thank`s for your sugestion re: memory though.
Tom.

kfh
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi tomijon,

You could try hitting F8 when starting up to enter safe mode then run Diagnostic mode, it might show something, worth a try.

tomijon
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I tried safe mode thank`s , but no joy. Have now re-installed xp, and within minutes of setting up my internet connection I have the same problem when I click on a programme or file it wont open.
Tom.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Take your pc down to as if it is a new build with second hand parts. Test e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g

Replace mobo battery, run HDD utilities, Memtest, do barebones if necessary. Eliminate hardware issues then use only one software at a time, gradually adding others and doing more until the problem returns.

Clean installs should not be malware issues if done right. Therefore hardware is suspect.

tomijon
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank`s for all the help.
I did a clean install of win xp and made sure all my spyware and anti virus progs where up and running before I made internet connection, all seems fine now.
Regards
Tom.