PDA

View Full Version : 'Active X', Idiot Exploiter, M$ & streaming video

videobruce
04-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I didn't know where to put this since it could fall under a few topics.

Please enlighten me on 'Active X' controls (other than connecting the term to 'viruses') regarding streaming video. Namely, CCTV (closed circuit television) cameras via Internet access and the need to use 'Active X' to either view and/or control remote CCTV cameras and equipment.

From some initial investigation, it appears that to access any CCTV equipment that has web access you need to run 'Active X' scripts. I'm also told these only work in IE (which is a immediate negative). Which brings the question;

If 'Active X a MS 'product' (for lack of a better term) is there a workaround for using other browsers (Opear or Mozilla/Firefox)?

Fruss Tray Ted
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
While you're waiting for assistance, just for an aside, I went to Windows Update yesterday with my wireless laptop using WinME. Downloaded and installed DirectX9 as one of the recommended updates. Rebooted as requested and only did the one update as they said to do.

Now Windows Update says my laptop is a Mac! and gives me a link to MS products designed for Apple computers!!! :D I'm keeping the screenshot showing MSIE on the header and the message just beneath.

I just don't know if this is an improvement or a downgrade... :p

videobruce
04-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Should I be surprised?

Paul Komski
04-06-2007, 05:56 AM
If 'Active X a MS 'product' (for lack of a better term) is there a workaround for using other browsers (Opear or Mozilla/Firefox)?The equivalent software for Mozilla is a "Plug-in". Some software developers will have only released an IE-based ActiveX control (MS do this for the windows update site and do not unsurprisingly release a Firefox plugin to do the same task) and others (for example the LogMeIn software) will provide these "executables" to run on both browsers; (I'm not up to speed with Opera these days).

If the designers of the CCTV stuff have released a firefox plugin then you should be good to go with firefox - otherwise you are stuck with their ActiveX control and an IE-browser engine. You can always try another brower and with firefox it will prompt you if any plug-in is needed to view/access material on or via the page.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey! These Macs seem just like pc's!!! :p

Here's the screenshot I mentioned from my laptop and ME. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/M99ER/mac1.jpg?t=1175869019

SufferWell1396
04-06-2007, 01:16 PM
FTT the same exact thing happens to me, check this one out.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i107/SufferWell1396/asdf-1.jpg

Paul Komski
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
It's hard to know what's going on at windows update. You can get that message when you first try to update and then it returns to normal if you try it a second time.