PDA

View Full Version : Vista, doesnt play copy protected games

Galaxian
04-05-2007, 08:23 PM
since vista, all my pc games that have any copy protection whatsoever always displays the same error message when i try to play:

please insert the original disk instead of backup and try again.

i get this with all these games:
nfs: carbon
doom 3 and resurrection of evil
fear and extraction point
test drive unlimited
painkiller and boh
condemned
titan quest
prey

only 2 games work normally, oblivion and fsx

so my only fix has been to use no cd patches and then they play fine but i shouldnt have to resort to illegal means just to play games i pay for plus at some point i'm gonna buy a new game and wont beable to find a nocd patch or worse get one with a virus, so far ive been lucky but still
they all worked fine in xp, so unless its my sata dvd drive or some conflict between it and vista then surely i cant be the only one with this problem.

any help is much appreciated

Firestriker
04-08-2007, 03:41 AM
I have quite a few games on your list, and they work fine with my system, I have both Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. Question though, did you do an upgrade, or did you do a fresh install of Vista? If it was an upgrade from XP to Vista, you need to uninstall the games, *clear their registry entries*, and then reinstall them. If it was a clean install of Vista then you shouldn't be having this issue...

*Just using thier uninstallering doesn't completely clear their entries, for most games...

I would try it just by uninstalling and reinstalling first, and if that doesn't work, then hunt down their reg entries, but Prey, Titan Quest w/ & w/o Expansion, NFS Carbon, and Doom, I know from experience have no issues on a clean Vista install. (Completely reformatted HD, fresh install of Vista Ultimate & Vista Home Premium (no upgrading) and fresh installs of the games)

Galaxian
05-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I have quite a few games on your list, and they work fine with my system, I have both Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. Question though, did you do an upgrade, or did you do a fresh install of Vista? If it was an upgrade from XP to Vista, you need to uninstall the games, *clear their registry entries*, and then reinstall them. If it was a clean install of Vista then you shouldn't be having this issue...

*Just using thier uninstallering doesn't completely clear their entries, for most games...

I would try it just by uninstalling and reinstalling first, and if that doesn't work, then hunt down their reg entries, but Prey, Titan Quest w/ & w/o Expansion, NFS Carbon, and Doom, I know from experience have no issues on a clean Vista install. (Completely reformatted HD, fresh install of Vista Ultimate & Vista Home Premium (no upgrading) and fresh installs of the games)

complete upgrade, new hard drive, dual core e6600, nvidia 7900gt, 2gigs dominator ram...etc

reinstalled vista 6 times now, complete format as i have always done since windows 98, sometimes even drive wiping first.

the problem still persists, i have all the latest drivers...no beta's, latest hardware firmware updates, all my hardware is higher end popular namebrands like asus p5b mobo and corsair ram. those games worked just fine in XP and this is utter B.S.!!

i just now tried to install BF 2142..notta since the nocd patch just gets me banned. now i'm really pissed :mad:
its wierd games work for some, my friend has home premium and no problems, i think its some communication or driver in relation to my plextor sata dvd drive...its a great drive and i'd hate to buy another without guarantee it will solve my problem.

**update: i dusted off and older ata dvd drive i have from pioneer and installed it to see if the problem persisted...it does, so i guess the problem isnt my dvd drive but why am i having this problem when others dont?