PDA

View Full Version : Remote support

5aq1b
04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Hellow,
Quick question. I see alot of websites which offer remote assistance. Now, i take it this is via Windows remote desktop?

Also for this to be set up, do they need to give the user any instructions before connecting? ie. Port opening etc? Or do they connect straight in? What if the end-user is behind a firewall?

Erik
04-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Most likely not RDP as this would be to complex, and essentially leaves an opening where they can access your PC at a later time if they wish. Most will use a specialized software that runs in a browser and is automatically downloaded and installed/configured. Then they are able to do whatever needs to be done, and once the connection is terminated they won't be able to connect again unless you request another session.

Budfred
04-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Some (possibly many) of the people who offer remote assistance are criminals out to steal from you... I would be extremely cautious about letting someone have access to my computer unless I was certain that person was safe...

I recently dealt with a "helper" at SpywareInfo who was offering to remotely log into people's computers and help them clean up malware... As far as I could tell, he seemed to then steal their identities and use them on the web, possibly also stealing their money in the process... I didn't let him do that at SWI, but I bet some forums don't get the scam and let him do it...

Paul Komski
04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
I agree with Budred on the security front about who you let control your computer. Having said that there is a difference between setting up a permanent Remote Desktop and asking for assistance on a session basis. LogMeIn software has, for example, a 30day free trial of their Remote Assistance program and even WinXP's native Remote Assistance works very well once contact is established. Just go to Start >> Help and Support and click on "Ask a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance" to get a gist of this. If you both connect using Windows Messenger first you can invite directly from an established chat session.

I would "never" give out my password to connect using Remote Desktop - which is usually a way for oneself to connect to ones own work or home computer from another location.

And FYI there is some software where you can watch what the remote user is doing but there is other software where the user can mask their presence and be working away in the background without your knowledge!