PDA

View Full Version : How to restore a deleted Quick Launch ?

karthik
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
How to restore a deleted Quick Launch ?
--------------------------
I have tried
Right click> Tools bars> Quick Launch but :(

Sylvander
04-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Which Windows version?

Have you been using a program to clean up or "fix" the registry?

Do you have any image backups of your Windows partition?
Have you tried going back to a "Restore Point" that matches your present hardware setup?

Sylvander
04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Install and run "Tweak UI" and in the "IE" tab make sure the "Shell Enhancements" box is ticked [as shown below].

Fruss Tray Ted
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Gawd! You guys and all your unnecessary programs! Drive me nuts! It's like you have an alternate software for everything Windows wants to do. Why bother to install Windows if all you are willing to use is anything else BUT?!?!

I like to use Windows if Windows has a satisfactory way of doing what I need without outside 'interference'. ;)

Karthik,
Go to the Program you need a Quick Launch for. It may have it's own folder in Program Files or a Shortcut already on your Desktop. Right click on the .exe for the program in Program Files and choose 'Make Shortcut' It will send it to your Desktop if there isn't one already there.

Click and Drag the Shortcut to your Taskbar where the other QuickLaunch Programs are. If there is now a Shortcut and QL, but you do not want a Shortcut on DT, just delete it and the QL will still be there.

No software to download, no tweaking to be done, just a simple drag and drop thing that all Windows apps are able to do. It really seems people around here forget or refuse to let Windows do alot of these things just fine on it's own!

Sylvander
04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Must make you wonder why "Tweak UI" was invented and manufactured in the first place, eh?

Sure does a LOT of stuff, and all in one place too.

trapper
04-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm with you Fruss Tray Ted ----- I don't know why one should download another program when Windows easily does the job.

Paul Komski
04-07-2007, 03:57 AM
How to restore a deleted Quick Launch?If it was a Quick Launch Icon it should be in the recycle bin - unless the bin was emptied. Or was it a missing Quick Launch Toolbar itself?

FYI: The Quick Launch Toolbar is just a Taskbar Item that references a real folder at %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch Just type the green text into explorer's address bar to locate its contents.

Sylvander
04-07-2007, 04:33 AM
"Or was it a missing Quick Launch Toolbar itself?"
That's what I was assuming was the case.
And people out there on the web had failed to solve this by making a new folder and populating it.
Needs the registry setting to produce a fix, and "Tweak UI" does that.

Paul Komski
04-07-2007, 05:19 AM
If possible, its best not to assume anything when questions are not clear.

Links to fixes others have posted on the web can also often be very revealing.

karthik
04-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the posts.
The Quick Launch Icon was deleted (I deleted, I don't why I did). And the recycle bin is empty.
I think I will try Paul suggestion on Monday in my Office.

FYI: The Quick Launch Toolbar is just a Taskbar Item that references a real folder at %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch Just type the green text into explorer's address bar to locate its contents.
But I hope you people are giving suggestion on the 'Quick Launch Icon', the small button on the taskbar that shows 'show Desktop' text when you move the cursor over it and not on some program:)

Paul Komski
04-07-2007, 02:50 PM
karthik there is no such thing as a single Quick Launch Icon; there are icons that can be seen in the Quick Launch Toolbar. One of those default icons is the "Show Desktop" Icon which minimizes all open windows. If that is what you deleted then you can recreate it as follows:-

Open Notepad and enter the following text:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save this file as Show Desktop.scf and it will recreate the icon.

Drag and drop the icon onto the Quick Launch Toolbar or wherever else takes your fancy.

karthik
04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks Paul,
I got back the Show Desktop.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
and not on some program
That was my assumption. Sorry guys. :o I apologize.

Paul Komski
04-09-2007, 11:23 AM
The first post was ambiguous. It only became clear later on.