PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem

hunterdmg
04-07-2007, 10:35 AM
My daughters PC hard drive died. ( had the click of death ) So I replaced it with a new one of the same brand , model , size , etc. The pc was running windows xp prior to the failure. The new drive came with a "Data Lifeguard" cd rom. I installed the drive per mfg instructions. ( no jumper ) On start up I tried to boot from the cd . The rom light was on and the rom was spinning but would not boot. I had some lines on the screen that said :
repl-rom-adr- xxxxxxxx
repl-rom irq-10
repl-rom-pio-d400
repl-rom-slt-3
repl-rom-ffc- (5 sec countdown then) NOT FOUND
insert Boot diskette in A:

So I figured I would just boot from the floppy. I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the XP home boot info to 6 floppys. I went to the bios and changed the boot order to see the floppy first and tried to boot. It saw the disk and seemed to start ok when It stopped and I received the message " Disk I/O error and the A drive stopped. What do I need to do now? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paul Komski
04-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Since you are using an identical drive to the original there should be no BIOS limitation and no need to use the Lifeguard tools.

Check that the new hard drive has been detected in the BIOS setup. You may need to set its host controller to auto to have a new drive detected by the system.

Once the drive is detected by the BIOS setup you should be able to install Windows.

Where are the installation files; on a WindowsXP installation CD or on an OEM restoration CD - or somewhere else?

What make/model of PC or motherboard are we dealing with here?

You should only need the 6 boot floppies if you cant boot to a Wndows Installation CD.

hunterdmg
04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
The new drive is being detected. The motherboard is an AMD # K7S5A pro with an athlon xp processor. When I tried to boot from the floppys, is when I received the "disk I/O error ". The cd which may not be a boot disk was made on a burner I only assume from the OEM. There is a product key written on the cd. But I cannot make the rom function properly. I continue receiving the : repl-rom-adr- xxxxxxxx
repl-rom irq-10
repl-rom-pio-d400
repl-rom-slt-3

prompts.

Paul Komski
04-08-2007, 02:21 PM
repl-rom irq-10
repl-rom-pio-d400
repl-rom-slt-3
I think the above are attempts at a network boot. So disable any network boot options in the bios and ensure that the order is Floppy disk first and Hard Drive Second - (we will leave the CD out of the equation for the moment).

Get a normal msdos boot floppy from bootdisk.com or elsewhere and try to boot to it. If the A drive is giving you i/o errors or messages "to insert a system disk and retry" then either it is not a bootable floppy or the floppy or drive is bad.

If you can boot to an msdos boot floppy try fdisk to see if you can see the hard drive. As an alternative you could try BiNG (in my sig) and use it to look at the hard drive geometry. If the hard drive is seen in the BIOS but not by fdisk or BiNG then it is likely that the hard drive is bad.

It looks as if the CDROM you have been trying is not a boot disk or that the BIOS cum CDDrive cannot detect it as a boot device and it is thus moving on through the boot options till it gets to network boot. You could try a boot disk such as that created by BiNG after burning its iso to a CDR and with the CDROM now set as the first boot device.

Do you have a WinXP installation CD or how else were you hoping to install WinXP?

Are you sure when making bootdisks from isos that you are burning the image and not the iso.file itself as a data file. Burning a CD image file uses different methodology than burning a data file; the former is to recreate all the files on a CD from a single file.