PDA

View Full Version : Double OS Vista & XP. Possible?

DarkyDucky
04-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi. I'm using a Sony notebook model Vgn-Fe45G. It currently has Vista Home Premium as the OS. Sadly enough, my school requires notebooks to be in XP. A couple of my friends with Sony notebooks already went to get their notebooks certified(As in downgrading into XP from Vista) in school. They lost their sound from their notebook and I'm reluctant to lose the sound as well =/. Is it possible to install XP and Vista in my notebook? I looked through some websites and only found the Double OS procedures 2000 and XP etc. If I'm able to, can you please teach me how? I'm a PC newbie :(

Paul Komski
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
There are a number of options. It is possible to partition your hard drive and have a dual boot situation but care is needed - particularly on a laptop which is likely to already have hidden partitions on it - and particularly when vista has already been installed. You could also get a second hard drive and swap it into the PC, install WinXP onto it and interchange the drives as needed. Both these options would require that you have all the WinXP drivers available to you.

You could also install MS Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) and then install WinXP onto the virtual PC running in Vista.

DarkyDucky
04-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Soo.. how do I exactly use the MS virtual PC? I havent got the disks of the XP and such, need to go to school to install the softwares.

Uhh new problem. >.> From the website,"Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vista™ Business; Windows Vista™ Enterprise; Windows Vista™ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition" but i'm running on home premium. =/

Paul Komski
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
First off - you want to be able to get back to where you are now so do first backup any important data as well as the first track of the hard drive and safely store them on some removable media. You should be able to back-up the first track (Track 0) using MBRWork 1.07b (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html). Do read the readme and ask about anything that is still unclear.

Suggest you also use PartInfo from the same page and run partinf or partinfw as appropriate and post the results here to see just what is on the hard drive. We dont want to lose any restore partiton in the process.

I recommend that you use BiNG from the same site to do all the necessary partitioning tasks and use it or XOSL to install as a boot manager to organise a dual boot menu.

The basics will involve:-

Hiding the current Vista Primary Partition.
Resizing the current Windows Partition (probably the same Primary Partition).
The creation of a second small (say 500MB) Primary FAT partition and marking it as Active.
The creation of a logical partition for WinXP.
The installation of WinXP.
The installation of BiNG or XOSL as a boot manager; (this will involve the use of the small primary partition).
The setup and customisation of the boot manager including what to hide and view when you boot Vista or XP.

I would like to be sure of your current hard drive geometry, as previously indicated, before saying go right ahead.

DarkyDucky
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I can't understand a thing in MBMWORK readme file.>.>
The partinfw did not work as a small black window appeared and disappeared in a split second.
I can't find "bing" on the website, only found "bingburn" which i'm pretty sure isnt the same "bing" you are talking about.
Sorry for my newbishness and thanks for being patient with me.

Paul Komski
04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
MBRWORK is a DOS executable and is best run from an MSDOS boot floppy. Put a blank floppy in its drive and with WinXP choose Format for MyComputer's A: drive - but ensure you check the box "Create an MSDOS startup disk". Next copy mbrwork.exe to it. Boot to the floppy and at the A: prompt enter:
mbrwork
Next enter 1 for the first option "Backup First Track" and then exit. A 32k .bin file should have been created on the floppy; that is the backup file of track0. Dont use the other options since some of them are destructive. Just read the prompts carefully.

You need to run partinfw from the command prompt. If you first copy the partinfw.exe file to the C: drive (its just a convenient location) and then enter cmd into the runbox, a command prompt window will open. At the prompt where the cursor is flashing enter:
C:\partinfw > info.txt
and that should output the text to a file called info.txt to be then found in the C: drive. That's the data that would be nice to see.

BiNG (in my sig) is short for BootIt-NextGeneration

We were all n00bish at one time or another.

DarkyDucky
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
"MBRWORK is a DOS executable and is best run from an MSDOS boot floppy. Put a blank floppy in its drive and with WinXP choose Format for MyComputer's A: drive - but ensure you check the box "Create an MSDOS startup disk". Next copy mbrwork.exe to it. Boot to the floppy and at the A: prompt enter:
mbrwork
Next enter 1 for the first option "Backup First Track" and then exit. A 32k .bin file should have been created on the floppy; that is the backup file of track0. Dont use the other options since some of them are destructive. Just read the prompts carefully."
I dont really understand this part. =/

"You need to run partinfw from the command prompt. If you first copy the partinfw.exe file to the C: drive (its just a convenient location) and then enter cmd into the runbox, a command prompt window will open. At the prompt where the cursor is flashing enter:
C:\partinfw > info.txt
and that should output the text to a file called info.txt to be then found in the C: drive. That's the data that would be nice to see."

I done that part but something went wrong with it. The picture below shows it.
I could see the info.txt file and i opened it but nothing was in it.

Paul Komski
04-17-2007, 03:26 AM
I dont follow what you are referring to with
=/ or which particular part of the paragraph you find difficult. Making the floppy or using it.

It can be helpful when quoting text to place it inside quote tags rather than use exclamation marks to help differentiate between your own and someone else's tect.

Virtual PC once installed and with a virtual hard drive added to it is used more or less like a normal PC. You just need to capture things like the keyboard and mouse or floppy and CD by using the correct clicks or menus. It's confusing at first but persevere and read any help files. You would install XP onto it just as normal by booting to the WinXP installation CD but with the virtual CDROM first made active or else the computer itself will want to run the CD.

C:\Users\Peiwen\partinfw is not the same as the suggested C:\partifnw

You can run it from wherever you first put the partinfw.exe file. The line you used would have been OK if partinfw.exe had been placed in the C:\Users\Peiwen directory.

You can get back down to just a C:\ prompt by repeatedly entering
cd .. when there are folders already in the path.

The PowerToy Open Command Window Here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx) is a useful adjunct that can help you go straight to the relevant command prompt by RClicking on the relevant folder in Windows Explorer.